dear outsystems mates,

my customer currently running on P10 JAVA + MySQL, now they want to upgrade to P11 NET.

unfortunately MySQL is not supported anymore in P11 for platform database, so they decide to migrate the platform database into SQL Server.

is there any guide or how to document to make the outsystems platform database migration process MySQL to SQL Server working smooth ?

secondly...

there are an application which its data were attached to this platform database (MySQL), is there any easy way to move them also into SQL Server?

thank you.

I'm assuming, since you're talking about Java, that this is an on-prem installation of the platform?

Not sure if there's a direct upgrade path, since you're changing both the stack (Java to .NET) and the database (mySQL to SQL Server).

As such, you may need to do a fresh install of P11, and create a solution or solutions for the apps to be migrated from the P10 instance. For data, there are some migration components available in the Forge. I do not have a recommendation for a specific component. Keep in mind that if the app(s) use the SQL widget for custom queries, the syntax may vary from mySQL to SQL Server, so those may need to be modified as well.

Given the complexity of the migration, I think your customer should strongly consider reaching out to OutSystems support, and investigate the options for getting help with this move.

G. Andrew Duthie wrote:

I'm assuming, since you're talking about Java, that this is an on-prem installation of the platform?

Not sure if there's a direct upgrade path, since you're changing both the stack (Java to .NET) and the database (mySQL to SQL Server).

As such, you may need to do a fresh install of P11, and create a solution or solutions for the apps to be migrated from the P10 instance. For data, there are some migration components available in the Forge. I do not have a recommendation for a specific component. Keep in mind that if the app(s) use the SQL widget for custom queries, the syntax may vary from mySQL to SQL Server, so those may need to be modified as well.

Given the complexity of the migration, I think your customer should strongly consider reaching out to OutSystems support, and investigate the options for getting help with this move.

Hi Andrew,

yes it is a on-prem installation.

Thank you for your input Andrew.

yes it is a complex task indeed, and I already share it with the customer thats this job should be divided into two steps.

1. moving the solution

2. moving the data

however I still hope there is another way to do it faster & simpler.