Hello guys, 

I am facing the following issue: I generated the iOS Application successfully and then I tried to install it on both an iPad and an iPhone. On the iPad I would get the following message on the browser: "There was an error processing your request". Each time  I try to reload the page I get 3 errors in Service Center( I attached the ss with them) and on Iphone I managed to install it but it looks disabled. You cannot enter the application. What could be the problem and how can it be fixed?

Hi Lorena Pop,

This is more often to happen when you update an existing app while if you are using any plugin.

The thing is if in case you add a plugin in the next implementation for instance while development it is better to uninstall and install the new version. 

As of the device will try to open the existing database, but it will fail...

I am not sure to address exact solution without proper error identification, perhaps you can share the Error-Log with detail SS & yes if you using any Forge component/Pluign please specify.

Hope it helps,

Assif



assif_tiger wrote:

Hi Lorena Pop,

This is more often to happen when you update an existing app while if you are using any plugin.

The thing is if in case you add a plugin in the next implementation for instance while development it is better to uninstall and install the new version. 

As of the device will try to open the existing database, but it will fail...

I am not sure to address exact solution without proper error identification, perhaps you can share the Error-Log with detail SS & yes if you using any Forge component/Pluign please specify.

Hope it helps,

Assif




Hey Assif, 

I still have the same problem. We use the following plugins: Lottie Animations, File Viewer, Globalization Plugin, File Plugin, Google Core, Google Login Plugin, InAppBrowser Plugin, Multilingual Mobile Component, OneSignal Plugin, PDF Generator Plugin and Touch ID Plugin.

Here are the errors in more detail: