Just curious if Outsystems will ever incorporate ASP.NET Core?

Maybe, Maybe not. To be honest it shouldn't matter as long as our modules compile to running code.

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Maybe, Maybe not. To be honest it shouldn't matter as long as our modules compile to running code.

True, however, our comany's infrastructure is increasingly moving to Linux servers and it would be nice if Outsystems would run on Linux.

Ok then yes I understand your question.

I do not have the answer but as they keep supporting newer databases and Microsoft servers one would expect the application framework also to be renewed. The problem is that this is s complete different impact and amount of work than a new database server version of Windows server version.

So you are not only asking for core put also for install on Linux. I never heard or read about OutSystems supporting Linux.

I do know there will be a new web application model available for V12. Let's see what surprised they have with V12 at the upcoming NextStep event.

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Ok then yes I understand your question.

I do not have the answer but as they keep supporting newer databases and Microsoft servers one would expect the application framework also to be renewed. The problem is that this is s complete different impact and amount of work than a new database server version of Windows server version.

So you are not only asking for core put also for install on Linux. I never heard or read about OutSystems supporting Linux.

I do know there will be a new web application model available for V12. Let's see what surprised they have with V12 at the upcoming NextStep event.

Yup, thanks for your reply.

Solution

Hi Christian,

I have no inside knowledge of OutSystems plans moving forward, so the rest is a mere exercise based on some known information...

.NET is evolving towards "platform-agnostic" (.NET 5 should unify both .NET Framework 4.8 and .NET Core 3.0 according to Microsoft's timeline by end of next next year).

In the past, although OutSystems has taken a conservative approach to upgrading the requirements on the .NET Framework, there have been platform versions that required more modern versions of .NET, so it is likely at some point in the future the platform will require .NET 5 to function properly.

When this happens, it will be a lot easier for OutSystems to evolve to be supported again on Linux (and macOS for the first time), both platform-wise as well as IDEs (a boon for us that would enjoy using a proper Mac app to develop in OutSystems).

I guess we will have to wait and see what the future holds.

Solution

Jorge Martins wrote:

Hi Christian,

I have no inside knowledge of OutSystems plans moving forward, so the rest is a mere exercise based on some known information...

.NET is evolving towards "platform-agnostic" (.NET 5 should unify both .NET Framework 4.8 and .NET Core 3.0 according to Microsoft's timeline by end of next next year).

In the past, although OutSystems has taken a conservative approach to upgrading the requirements on the .NET Framework, there have been platform versions that required more modern versions of .NET, so it is likely at some point in the future the platform will require .NET 5 to function properly.

When this happens, it will be a lot easier for OutSystems to evolve to be supported again on Linux (and macOS for the first time), both platform-wise as well as IDEs (a boon for us that would enjoy using a proper Mac app to develop in OutSystems).

I guess we will have to wait and see what the future holds.

Well, I will try to patiently wait for .NET 5 and see what happens with Outsystems! Thanks!!