Refresh page on new record on the DB

Hi all,

I would like to create a "self updated" page when I insert a new record on my table.

I never done it before ... is it possibile ?

I don't want to self refresh the page every "x" seconds ... the update should work on the DB event.

Thanks !

Hi Luca,

This isn't possible (and it has little to do with OutSystems). Your web page is running on the user's local computer, while the update is done inside the database server. There's no way for the web page to know there's been an update to the database.

Hi Kilian ...

I would like the "GMail" effect (or similar)... when you have a new mail, the web page update itself ... you don't have to update the page

Luca De Mori wrote:

Hi Kilian ...

I would like the "GMail" effect (or similar)... when you have a new mail, the web page update itself ... you don't have to update the page

Hi Luca de Mori,

Currently there is no way to implement what you are asking. 

The only way to "simulate" that behavior is, as you said, to refresh the page every "x time".

You can try to optimize this by implementing a function that retrieves the last time the DB was updated.

By doing this you will prevent unnecessary page refresh, refreshing only when new elements have been added.

Hope this helps

Best Regards 

Rodrigo Henriques

It's probably more straight forward to just refresh every x-seconds, but it seems like using a web socket/queue mechanism might also be possible.   Assuming that when the DB update occurs the queue could be notified  (and the end users are unique and have a way to sign into their own queues)

Hi Luca,

For that you'd need some sort of real time mechanism (e.g Firebase). Then you could have a light BPT process to be triggered on database create. Your process would then notify the client to update via Firebase API.

Ivo