you enviroment doesnt support Client variables in Datasource

Hi,

Im creating my first reactive web app. And im trying to retrieve some data by using an aggregation.

In the Tradional web it was possible to filter data using an session variable. It seems it is not possible with Client variables though. the error i get is: 

"Unavailable Feature, The environment you're logged into doesn't support Client Variables in Data Sources. Upgrade the environment to publish the module."

When i go to my eniroment is seems to be up to date.

Did anyone manage to use client variables in datasources? I would like to do this so I won't have to pass a variable to every screen of my application

Solution

Hi Indesh,

Right now is not possible to use client variables in aggregates. In a couple of weeks one version will be released and it will allow this. This was announce by Outsystems in this post.

Regards,

Marcelo

Solution

Hi Marcelo,

I updated my Development Environment to the latest version (11.6.5) that has this single item in the release notes:

"It's now possible to use Client Variables on Aggregates. (RTAF-1334)"

And still, I'm getting the same error message that Indesh reported.

Does this require a specific Platform Version as well? Btw, I'm using a Personal Environment.

Carlos Henriques wrote:

Hi Marcelo,

I updated my Development Environment to the latest version (11.6.5) that has this single item in the release notes:

"It's now possible to use Client Variables on Aggregates. (RTAF-1334)"

And still, I'm getting the same error message that Indesh reported.

Does this require a specific Platform Version as well? Btw, I'm using a Personal Environment.

Hi Carlos,

That will also require a server update that should be out in a couple of weeks (with personals being updated after that). In the meantime a workaround is to use local variables and an OnInitialize to set their value with those client variable and use the local variables in the aggregates. After upgrading you can simplify all that code (you can leave a reminder comment for that).

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

So the release 11.6.5 is pretty much useless compared with the previous version and probably was released too soon?

It should have that requirement in the release notes to avoid further confusion. As it is, it seems that you can use that feature by just updating to the latest DE version.

Hi Carlos,

You are right, we should have waited for the release of the server. This capability of being able to add new features the OutSystems language while not requiring modules to be fully upgraded (e.g. requiring a major, without a way to downgrade, like before) is pretty new and there are still some rough edges here and there. We'll make sure it does not happen again. 

Cheers,
Tiago Simões