I use Html2PdfConverter to generate summary report. Inside the PageContentArea, there are web blocks that build up the different sections of the whole report. These web blocks have their own preparation in order to retrieve records from the entities using the aggregates and display them on the various gadgets, such as Table Records, List Records, etc. 

The issue that I encountered was the screen keeps looping without showing any data and the screen eventually becomes unresponsive. The screen neither did throw any exception error nor I can't find any information regarding this process from the Service Portal. 

I never had this issue in development environment maybe because of less amount of records used for development purpose, but once it was ported to UAT and Production, this issue propped up. I tried to debug using the debugger in development and UAT platform to trace should have any infinite loops inside the web block, but I was able to finish the preparation and only stuck when the report was trying to display the data on the screen.

May I ask your advice what makes my report goes into infinite loop and how to know  what the long running process that stops the report to get displayed.

Cheers,

Reno

Hello Reno, 

This doesn't seem to be an infinite looping. 

Where in the web screen (you xan debug screens also) it is stopping? 

Hi Reno,

From what I can tell, the vast majority of webblock loops are detected by the platform - if you're not seeing any specific errors about this, it's unlikely to be the cause.

Can you tell us more about the report you're trying to display? What's the difference in the scale of records between environments? You mention that you managed to clear out of the Screen preparation, but what about the webblock preparations - have you tried timing them with Audits to trace perfomance?

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Reno, 

This doesn't seem to be an infinite looping. 

Where in the web screen (you xan debug screens also) it is stopping? 

Hi Eduardo,

I never try debugging from the Production Environment, is it safe to put breakpoints and trigger the start debugging button from there? Our Outsystems local support doesn't advice me to open the production solution from the Service Studio directly, what he always recommend me to do is to debug from Development environment. If that the case how do I justify if it's got to do with the scale of records between environments?

Cheers,

Reno


Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Hi Reno,

From what I can tell, the vast majority of webblock loops are detected by the platform - if you're not seeing any specific errors about this, it's unlikely to be the cause.

Can you tell us more about the report you're trying to display? What's the difference in the scale of records between environments? You mention that you managed to clear out of the Screen preparation, but what about the webblock preparations - have you tried timing them with Audits to trace perfomance?

Hi Afonso,

The report is the summary report that will be generated by weekly basis. There are different sections in the reports and each section has its own webblock to display the records on the various gadget, such as Table Records, List Records, etc. In total, there are 4 webblocks placed in the PageContentArea.

The scale of records between environment is quite significant. In Production environment, the report is to retrieve 200 records for week 43. 

I never try use the debugger tool in Production to trace the preparation, because my Outsystems Local Support doesn't advice me to do so. If want to debug must be in the Development Environment.

Would you advice me how to know where the bottleneck is for my issue?

Cheers,

Reno


Reno Adipura wrote:

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Reno, 

This doesn't seem to be an infinite looping. 

Where in the web screen (you xan debug screens also) it is stopping? 

Hi Eduardo,

I never try debugging from the Production Environment, is it safe to put breakpoints and trigger the start debugging button from there? Our Outsystems local support doesn't advice me to open the production solution from the Service Studio directly, what he always recommend me to do is to debug from Development environment. If that the case how do I justify if it's got to do with the scale of records between environments?

Cheers,

Reno


Agree. Debugging in Production is very problematic. Impossible, some times.

If you have a pre-production environment you can debug there.
If not, and you think the problem may be the data load, you may try to create dummy records to check this hypothesis, or try to ask the DB people if they can provide information about queries being executed (you can point which queries are being executed).

You can see more information here: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Managing_the_Applications_Lifecycle/Monitor_and_Troubleshoot

Cheers.


Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Reno Adipura wrote:

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Reno, 

This doesn't seem to be an infinite looping. 

Where in the web screen (you xan debug screens also) it is stopping? 

Hi Eduardo,

I never try debugging from the Production Environment, is it safe to put breakpoints and trigger the start debugging button from there? Our Outsystems local support doesn't advice me to open the production solution from the Service Studio directly, what he always recommend me to do is to debug from Development environment. If that the case how do I justify if it's got to do with the scale of records between environments?

Cheers,

Reno


Agree. Debugging in Production is very problematic. Impossible, some times.

If you have a pre-production environment you can debug there.
If not, and you think the problem may be the data load, you may try to create dummy records to check this hypothesis, or try to ask the DB people if they can provide information about queries being executed (you can point which queries are being executed).

You can see more information here: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Managing_the_Applications_Lifecycle/Monitor_and_Troubleshoot

Cheers.


Hi Eduardo,

I reproduced my production data in my development environment then I could display the report. However, there are blank pages displayed generated from one webblock to another webblock. Why the cause of having blank pages in front?


Since you managed to reproduce the data in development, have you attempted to debug the webblock flows? Are you getting all the data you're expecting?

You could also look at the General logs to track any slow queries or add audits to track the execution time of more complex logic.

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Since you managed to reproduce the data in development, have you attempted to debug the webblock flows? Are you getting all the data you're expecting?

You could also look at the General logs to track any slow queries or add audits to track the execution time of more complex logic.

Hi Afonso,

Yes, I'm able to get the data out. However, there are empty pages (7 pages) before the report start to generate pages from the subsequent webblock. Besides that, some of the Table Records or List Records gadget only show partial records.

What is the cause having empty pages before display the actual pages? And why Table Records or List Records only show partial records?

Cheers,

Reno