Hi,

I try programmatically simulate key press events. When I use SendKeys.Send() method in the extension C# code, the following message appears  “SendKeys cannot run inside this application because the application is not handling Windows messages. Either change the application to handle messages, or use the SendKeys.SendWait method.” When I use SendKeys.SendWait() - “Access is denied”.

Maybe you can help me, is it possible to handle Windows messages in OutSystems?

Solution

Hi Nikolai,

I think you misunderstand the way OutSystems works. OutSystems uses a client-server architecture, and is web based. OutSystems applications* run on the Server, inside IIS, and send their output to the Client, which is the browser running on your PC. Extensions in C# always run on the Server, and as such, they cannot (and should not be able to) access any local devices like your keyboard.

*At least Traditional Web Apps; Mobile Apps run on the mobile device in a browser-like environment, and Reactive Web Apps run mostly inside the browser, and partially on the server.

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Nikolai,

I think you misunderstand the way OutSystems works. OutSystems uses a client-server architecture, and is web based. OutSystems applications* run on the Server, inside IIS, and send their output to the Client, which is the browser running on your PC. Extensions in C# always run on the Server, and as such, they cannot (and should not be able to) access any local devices like your keyboard.

*At least Traditional Web Apps; Mobile Apps run on the mobile device in a browser-like environment, and Reactive Web Apps run mostly inside the browser, and partially on the server.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, thanks to you I was able to deal with this issue!)

You're most welcome :).