SCRUM vs Outsystems

SCRUM vs Outsystems

If I look at the SCRUM terms I want to map them on the OutSystems terms.

Maybe you can help me out.

SCRUM - OutSystems

Product Backlog vs All in Features in Scope
Sprint Backlog vs Features in a sprint
(User) Story vs Story
Task vs Feature
Scrum Master vs Engagement Manager

Is this correct or do you have different thoughts about this ?

Performing a SprintPlanning Meeting is that the role of a DM in outsystems ?
Hello Joop,

I'm just out of an Associate Delivery Manager Bootcamp, where we had an explanation over the two methodologies...

So i feel obliged to try and answer:

Product Backlog vs Project Backlog
Sprint Backlog vs Sprint Backlog
(User) Story vs Story
Task vs Feature
Scrum Master vs Delivery Manager
Product Owner vs Engagement Manager

There are two concepts of Backlog in Outsystems Agile Methodology, The Backlog and the project backlog....

In the beginning backlog equals project backlog, but during the project new features may arise, and decisions have to be made in the way some features will have to pop out to a next version of the solution. The backlog then comprises the project backlog, and all the other features that do not fit on the initial budget.

The Engagement Manager is the one responsible for the contact with the client, as well as the one usually accountable for the project.He is responsible for the initial analysis and feature negotiation, as well as for the presentations that will occur during the project timeline.

The Delivery Manager is a bit more than a Scrum Master, while the Scrum Master is more like a team Peace Keeper and external influences filter, the Delivery Manager does that and also participates in the project management and arquitecture design. He is responsible for the allocation of features to the developers.

In a SCRUM team, all are supposed to develop, and all have similar levels of expertise.

In Outsystems Agile, Delivery Manager can help develop, if there is such a need, as the development is part of his carreer, but that is the work of Developers.

Hope i've explained myself right,

Best Regards,

Diogo C S Cordeiro
Hello Joop and Diogo,
Diogo: Your mapping is perfect and I'm aligned with your remarks with a small comment:
  • The Delivery Manager is responsible to ensure that all the features within the sprint are allocated but not to allocate team that is should be done by the team as much as possible in a self organizing way.
  • So the answer to Joop question is: Yes, the DM is the one that organizes the Sprint planning meeting and together with the team perform the work assignments.

I will be attending a SCRUM Product Owner course next Thursday and Friday where I will evaluate in depth the differences between OutSystems Engagement Manager and the SCRUM Product Owner.
I will post here my findings!
Cheers
I have created a short document based on what I've learned on the training and with several discussions with experienced outsystems Delivery and Engagement Managers.
  • Please find here the result of the comparison between Scrum and OutSystems Roles.

We urge you to share your experience and vision on Scrum to improve this comparison with your inputs.
Thankx!
Nuno,

I guess you're link isn't correct.
Use this one instead:
Link to document
Cheers,
André
Thank you André!
It's now fixed on the original post.
Good to know that you followed it!
Nuno,

Regarding your document and a discussion I had with Mario, I want to address the following

As far as I get it from SCRUM the product backlog is owned and prioritized by the business thus cannot be the EM.
Taking away impediments from the development team should be the role of the EM

The DM in the team is there because most of the time a team cannot be self-sterring or cross functional due to the lack of knowledge. So the DM's role would be to guide withinthe team.

As I put this together still my opinion is the EM is the SCRUM Master and the Product Backlog needs to be owned by the (OutSystems) Business Manager

Let me know what you think of this
Regards,
Joop
Hello Joop,

This is a quite interesting discussion. Let me add my 5 cents...

Regarding the ownership of the Backlog that is an EM responsibility. He is the one that, with the analysis done with the customer (Business Manager), will build and maintain the Project Backlog. The prioritization of that backlog will also be done by him with the input received from the customer.
So he definitely is the 'Product Owner'.

On the other hand, the DM will be the one responsible for the delivery, making sure that the team 'lives' by the rules of the methodology. He is the one that makes sure the Scrum meetings occur and he is the first responsible for removing any impediments the team has. Of course, if he does not have the ability to solve those impediments, he will escalate them to the EM so that he can address them with the customer, but, from a team perspective it is the DM who is responsible for removing those impediments.
So, as a Scrum Master, the DM is the team's reference regarding the methodology and also the one that the team will rely on to remove impediments and protect them from external influences that might impact its performance.

Hope these comments help.
Regards,
Pedro Delgado @ Peopology

Hello,

If you don't mind, I'll join in with my views on the subject.

Joop, i must confess that i had the same doubts that you have. But if we assume that is the customer Business Manager that owns the Product Backlog, we are saying that only companies with experience in SCRUM could do projects with this methodology. From what we see in our everyday experiences, most of OutSystems customers have no previous experience with SCRUM or Agile.

Of course that customer Business Managers with large experience in working with SCRUM, can and will have a large involvement with the EM in prioritizing the backlog. I believe that even a Business Manager with no SCRUM experience, after a couple of releases of a project will probably start having an idea of what those priorities could be.

But the way I see it, the EM must have the ability of managing a project in a customer with no previous knowledge of SCRUM and be the owner of the product backlog, and must have enough knowledge of the customer needs to be able to prioritize it.

Best regards

João Filipe Rodrigues

Hi Joop,

First let me thank you for your feedback and second let me answer your questions one by one:

• "As far as I get it from SCRUM the product backlog is owned and prioritized by the business thus cannot be the EM. "

I agree that the product backlog is ultimately defined by what we call the Business Manager (BM).

(The Business Manager is the customer representative empowered to take project decisions when necessary in direct coordination with the Engagement Manager),

Yet from the project perspective the EM is the one that ensures progress and prioritization. Always aligned with the BM he is on top of the project backlog and keeps everyone focused on getting it delivered. As João Rodrigues mentioned, we fill in the gap for less experienced BM managers, allowing Agile projects to be delivered on "unprepared" business units. So indeed the EM is the SCRUM PO, in an ideal world the EM could be a SCRUM  PO from the Customer with Outsystems training.

• "Taking away impediments from the development team should be the role of the EM "

Adding to Pedro explanation we have to split the impediments into two groups. When these impediments are related to project activities, like data bootstrapping, customer training, hardware availability, and others like these, yesyou are correct. When related to architectural, technical or team performance issues those are the responsibility of the DM.

• "The DM in the team is there because most of the time a team cannot be self-sterring or cross functional due to the lack of knowledge. So the DM's role would be to guide withinthe team. "

You are correct. I don't think it is often that it happens, yet it depends on the definition of often ;). I would say that whenever the team get's stucks it's the DM role to kick it forward. The DM is responsible for the team performance, identifying bottlenecks and taking measures to maximize the team throughput.

• "As I put this together still my opinion is the EM is the SCRUM Master and the Product Backlog needs to be owned by the (OutSystems) Business Manager"

I believe that the misleading part is that although the EM owns the Product Backlog, he owns it project terms. What this means is that by allways aligning it with the BM, the actual owner is the BM, while the EM ensures that the correct features gets done! We are indeed lowering the burden within the customer of managing the projects. From our experience that allows the customer to keep focused on his business and we on delivering what he needs.

That's the reason for the two roles with different concerns:

1. EM  focused on business analysis, project dependencies and activities
  2. DM focused on the solution architecture and team performance

Thanks everyone for the input and let's keep it running...

Regards,

Teles

Also, in a very simple perspective, which helps comprehension:

EM - Build the right thing.
DM - Build it right.