Understanding your project's status

Understanding your project's status

Hi all,

I've been asked several times about reporting project's progress and status in the Agile Network Projects tool.

The Agile Projects uses a progress bar that gives you a lot of information regarding your projects status.
In this post I will try to show you how to read the progress bar that will for sure help you to keep your agile project on track.

First, let me clarify some of the terminology used by the Agile Projects:
  • Budget – Fixed cost of project as agreed with project sponsor
  • Estimate – Effort as initially agreed with project sponsor
  • Expected – Updated effort estimation
  • Actual – Effort already spent in Work Items
  • Closed Actual – effort taken in closed Work Items
  • Ongoing Actual – effort already spent in unfinished Work Items
  • Closed Deviation – Difference between Actuals and Estimates on closed WIs

Take a look at some examples that depict this great widget:

The Basics

Deviations: over budget

Deviations: Negative deviation, some work items were dropped

Deviations: over budget II

Thoughts anyone?
    Cheers,
    Mário
  • There are two vectors that should be taken into consideration when analysing the progress bar:
    - the size
    - the displacement

The size represents changes on the backlog, i.e., if the size is bigger than the original (the distance between the two horizontal lines) it means that new work items were added to the project backlog, and if it it smaller means that some were removed.

The displacement represents changes on the time spent working on the work items, i.e., if the bar moves left it means that the work items were completed faster than estimated, and if it moves right it means that they took longer.

Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    Pedro Delgado @ Peopology
    Hi Mario,

I wonder why OutSystems does not use the SCRUM burndown charts.
    That's also a nice way to see what needs to be done and if there is a gap.

It show the amount of work on the Y-axis and the time(box) on the X-axis

This would be nice to show to the development team, as they probably understand it better, because it is more positive approach towards the work what needs to be done within a sprint

Normaly there is a line telling you the perfect path. And added to that there is the deviation to the work.

Like to here from you guys.

Here is a link to a burndown chart as reference http://alistair.cockburn.us/get/2379
    Taken from an article of Alistair Cockburn (http://alistair.cockburn.us/Earned-value+and+burn+charts)

Regards,
    Joop Stringer

Hey Joop,

Let me paste to this post one of the examples you've mentioned: 

It is often used in Scrum as representation of work left to do vs time. 

From your point of view what are the major advantages of this vs the progress bar? And, on the other hand, what are the advantages of the progress bar vs. this one?

Cheers,

Márii

To me the advantages of the burndownchart are more on the userfriendlieness.

It's easy to understand for a novice. It's easy to see the burndown rate, you see how many points still have to be done.
    This I cannot see with the bar. The bar is only a graphical representation.

The burndown chart can be discussed upon very easily.
    Some use it to record the workitems finished, I usualy use it for complete featues.
    The advantage of the progressbar is that it is small :-)
    So I'm in favour of the burndown chart
    Regards,
    Joop

PS here's another nice piece of text http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/alt-releaseburndown
    Are there any thoughts about incorporating the Burn Down Chart ??
    Hi Joop,

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

Burn down charts are not in the ANP roadmap. Although burn down charts are commonly used in Agile, in our projects we use the progress bar instead.

Best regards
    João