Roadmap for deprecated notify

Hello,

Does someone here know the roadmap for the deprecated notify.

We have a large app with lots of webblocks. To replace the notify functionality with the (superior) events will take some effort.

What does deprecated mean here? When is it likely to be removed?

Thanks,

Andy.

Hello Andy, 

Don't know if there is any roadmap on that. I'!ll ask around about it. 

Cheers 

Andy Cody wrote:

Hello,

Does someone here know the roadmap for the deprecated notify.

We have a large app with lots of webblocks. To replace the notify functionality with the (superior) events will take some effort.

What does deprecated mean here? When is it likely to be removed?

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Andy Cody,

I am also thinking that if we wanted to convert the deprecated notify action with the events trigger in newer version of OS application (large scale application). So, What is the best possible way to convert those while upgrading the OS V 11.

Thanks a lot.... 

Hi,

Yes, notify was used to communicate between widgets and pages. On version 11 we have widget events and you we to use those to handle that communication. You can check this post about this subject. 

Hope it help :)

Hi Rohan,

As far as I know, the only way to make that conversion is manually. So you'd have to go block by block and replace every call to "Deprecated_Notify" by an event trigger. And then, of course, handle that event wherever that block is being used.

Personally, I wouldn't do that conversion for a large scale application unless I absolutely had to. And considering the amount of effort that would be required by their customers to make that conversion, I think it's highly unlikely that Outsystems is going to completely remove those deprecated actions any time soon.

Another thing to take into consideration is that with the advent of Reactive Web, that is a replacement for traditional web applications, it is unlikely that any further significant development will be made to traditional web, making the migration of large apolications to anything otger than reactice applications kind of pointless (on most of the cases). 

Thanks for the great responses. 

I still would like to hear the time frame if it is known.

But I take  the point about why OS are unlikely to remove the heavily used feature

Thanks again,

Andy

To avoid that those actions will be removed at some time, you could always decide to clone them to a module like DeprecatedOutSystemsLogic, and change dependencies to this module. There should be now complexity in this refactoring action. And you will be able to keep using the logic even it is removed from OutSystems.

Solution

Hi Andy,

We don't plan on removing the notify widget. We're not promoting it either, as using events is the correct way to address those use cases,

We'll keep supporting it, in the sense that we'll address bugs/issues that may come from it.

Regards,

Ricardo Alves

Solution

Aurelio Junior wrote:

Hi Rohan,

As far as I know, the only way to make that conversion is manually. So you'd have to go block by block and replace every call to "Deprecated_Notify" by an event trigger. And then, of course, handle that event wherever that block is being used.

Personally, I wouldn't do that conversion for a large scale application unless I absolutely had to. And considering the amount of effort that would be required by their customers to make that conversion, I think it's highly unlikely that Outsystems is going to completely remove those deprecated actions any time soon.

Thanks a lot Aurelio.