We are working on OS11 web and there is a requirement which should allow the user to schedule a recurring background task. It would be something like the recurrence interface in Outlook meeting or OS timer (screenshots attached for reference).

Are there any component by which we can achieve this?

Hi Krishanu,

You could take a look at the TimerHandling Forge component.

Thanks Luis and Killian, I'll try these out.

Hi Krishanu,

Please give Feedback alter you test it.

Br,

Luis

Hi, 

Just to remember, a timer action runs in its own session. This means a timer is not user specific. 

If you need a user specific timer, check if those forge components implement this feature. 

Cheers 

Timer Manager - doesn't allow to create a new one.

Timer scheduler - missing components. all texts are in Portuguese.

Timer Handling - working on it still

Krishanu DebRoy wrote:

Hi, 

Did you solve your problem with Timer Handling? 

Br,

Luis

Luís Cardoso wrote:

Krishanu DebRoy wrote:

Hi, 

Did you solve your problem with Timer Handling? 

Br,

Luis

Not yet Luis, we would be able to confirm by end of this week.

Krishanu

Timer Handling only provided an interface, couldn't find a way to schedule a job.

Any other ideas?

Krishanu

Hi Krishanu,

What do you mean "only provided an interface"? It has both Actions to schedule a job and a web block to use.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Krishanu,

What do you mean "only provided an interface"? It has both Actions to schedule a job and a web block to use.

We found only the web block. Let me download it again and re-check.

The Web Block should call the Actions, it's just a front-end for them.

Hi,

I would use BPT to do it. You have more threads to run activities and you can have more than 1 running at the same time. You can start a process instance with an automatic activity scheduled to run at the next occurrence, and calculate the following one based on the configuration.

The downside is that setting a Start Date for an automatic activity does not work with Light BPT, so you would need to go with regular BPT, which has some impact in the volume of data in the DB, related to process monitoring.

Cheers,

Tiago.

@Tiago: without knowing the use case (all Krishanu has mentioned is "schedule a recurring background task"), it's bad advise to use BPT. For one, BPT processes have a shorter time-out (5 min. vs. default 20 for Timers), and secondly, you can't schedule BPT processes in any useful way: they run whenever you start them.

Also, you mention Light BPT, which isn't very useful in this context and pretty advanced, so why mention it at all? And what kind of "trash" are you expecting in the database?

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

@Tiago: without knowing the use case (all Krishanu has mentioned is "schedule a recurring background task"), it's bad advise to use BPT. For one, BPT processes have a shorter time-out (5 min. vs. default 20 for Timers), and secondly, you can't schedule BPT processes in any useful way: they run whenever you start them.

Also, you mention Light BPT, which isn't very useful in this context and pretty advanced, so why mention it at all? And what kind of "trash" are you expecting in the database?

Hi Killian,

Don't agree with you. BPT processses start "asap", but you can include an automatic activity with a Start Date that allows the scheduling for a specific instant. More accurate that a timer, as by default only 3 threads are active at a given instant, what can cause delays in the actual execution time.

The trash I mentioned is the information regarding the process execution. Called it "trash" because in this case it does not seem relevant and it's more of a by-product.

The mention to Ligh BPT is to launch awareness of its existence, as I think is often ignored.

Cheers,

Tiago.

LBPT does not log anything in the database, that's the whole point of LBPT. But anyway, let's not pollute this topic any further.

I know that. Maybe my post wasn't clear, and I just edited it.

The optimal solution depends a lot on the scenario.

• How many users will be able to schedule tasks?
  • How long will the tasks take?
  • How important is that the task runs at the "exact" scheduled time?
  • How many timers are already configured in the environment?

Cheers,

Tiago

That we can agree on.