Generate separate letter from Excel list of persons first and last name to PDFs

Hi All,

I am trying to build a module that would allow someone to enter an excel list of person info (FirstName,LastName, Tel, StreetAddress, City, State, Zip and Email) and then create a PDF letter for each person

I am new to creating web apps and would like some help, the first page should be an input/upload screen to grab the excel file and the next page should generate a letter formatted PDF file like Dear (First Name), and then save each file to a location.

Hi Dharin,

What you want is quite complex. Let's break it down:

1. Upload an Excel. This is possible with the standard Upload Widget, combined with the Record List To Excel.
  2. Store the contents of the Excel in an Entity. This is not needed per se, but will allow you to use a Timer to process the data.
  3. Start a Timer that reads and processes the Entity content. You could have the logic in a Screen Action, but it will take some time, and to prevent time-outs a Timer is better.
  4. Merge the data, record by record, with a template, and create a PDF based on it. There is no standard functionality available in OutSystems for this, so you'll have to search the Forge. Personally, I'd try to find a component that can merge a Word document with the data, and allows the document to be saved as a PDF.
  5. Save the file. If you are in the cloud (as opposed to on-premise), you cannot save to a disk, because they are not accesible. You could use a Forge component for access to Dropbox or Google Drive. Alternatively, you could store the PDF in the database, and allow the user to download it.

As you can see, this is not a simple task. If you are inexperienced with OutSystems, I would not try it, it's way to advanced.