popup_editor crashes IE6

popup_editor crashes IE6

Hello,

I have a link to a popup. It works fins in IE7+, FF and whatever.
Only IE6 decides to crash itself when I click on the OK/Cancel button to close the popup with some actions. and refresh the list on the mainscreen. (even when I have an empty action it will crash)

I have no idea how to solve it.

Platform server is 4.2.4.45

Hi Joost (and Joop),

I assume you are using StyleGuide or EnterpriseManager version 4.2.9 or below. If so, please upgrade to 4.2.10 and it should work.

For the record, the problem you're facing is due to an internal deallocation timing problem in IE's 6 Javascript engine. We have contacted Microsoft and they have acknowledged this problem exists on IE6 but have told us that they would not backport the fix they made on later versions of the browser.

In face of this we had to work around this limitation and made these change available in version 4.2.10 of both Solutions.

Regards,

Miguel
Hi Miguel,

We updated the RichWidgets and that seemed to do the trick.
We can now proceed with our project.

Thanks !

Hello everyone

I would like to update this topic with some information. Despite the problem described above (which is solved by updating RichWidgets) I have come to know of another pattern that might cause IE6 and/or IE7 to crash.

If you have the following symptom: browser crashes after clicking a button inside a popup editor window, make sure to check if the button is of type Ajax. I already know of some cases where having the type set to Submit would cause some versions of IE6 and IE7 to crash (but not all!). I still don't know if it is a particular version or a plug-in that is also installed, but this is the note.

Also, if you are using a Popup Editor, you definitely do not want to use Submit in that button...
Hi!!

I'm having the same problem, and I'm using version 5.1.
My Richwidgets is Version 5.1.3.

I checked and the popup opens from a link where is set as Navigate method.

Thank you!
Hi Carolina,

We haven't heard many of those errors lately... Have you checked if the button inside the popup editor is of type Ajax?

"If you have the following symptom: browser crashes after clicking a button inside a popup editor window, make sure to check if the button is of type Ajax. I already know of some cases where having the type set to Submit would cause some versions of IE6 and IE7 to crash (but not all!). I still don't know if it is a particular version or a plug-in that is also installed, but this is the note."

What browser are you using? IE6 or IE7?

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
Hi Paulo

I'll check this... but it's strange because the user complains that he can't even open the pop-up when clicking on the link... so he doesn't press any button within the pop-up editor since he can't reach it.

Thank you!!
Hi Carolina,

Well, if he can't even open the popup, it could be some javascript error that he's facing. Can you check if there's any error sign on the browser?

Regards,

Paulo Tavares