Your approach to communication with customer with no Agile know-how

Hi all 

I have several Prospects which would like to use (try) OutSystems. They requires any"demo" project. But they what no Agile awareness and request the Waterfall approach managed project. Basically they give as two tree sentence of the solution and want to see the results without any cooperation (no Product Owner)

I know, better way is to train them (offer the training) to Agile. In most cases they are willing to do it but only when decide to go with OutSystems. So it is "Gordian knot".

I am giving following question to myself all the times:

Shall I insist to follow the Agile (OutSystems version of Agile) methodology and push Agile training before any demo project start? 

Or, shall I adapt OutSystems methodology (not willing to do it) to customer expectations(Waterfall) and later on get the missing information and rework product base on new information (risk for exceeding estimated budget and deadlines)?

What is you approach? What you do in such a situations? How do you communicate with customer about that?

My current another"issues" is, less OutSystems process awareness in our internal sales department.

What you would do if sales team (+ business analysts team) do not have time (is not a priority tothem) for OutSystems training or not willing to change they approach (in mostcase due to Prospects lack of know how - see first paragraph)?

I know, the worst case is to leave this company. This is not my solution (yet :)). 

Thanks you for your advices

Frantisek Malaga

Hi František,

From what I understood, a demo project is never off the table with your clients. Why not test the waters with that by offering a quicker start by moving ahead without a solid specification, but in exchange, requesting that they choose a product owner? This is someone that you can then interact with while you build your demo project, while showing this person the advantages of an agile methodology. In essence, instead of insisting on a methodology right off the bat, trying to win them over with a smaller scope project before moving on to larger endeavours.

This is all moot if you don't see any buy-in: there's places that just will not operate with Agile and will stick with Waterfall exclusively.

The culture part is a little more complicated. It's going to depend on how much influence you have and just how much willingness to change you can find with the people you work with.

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Hi František,

From what I understood, a demo project is never off the table with your clients. Why not test the waters with that by offering a quicker start by moving ahead without a solid specification, but in exchange, requesting that they choose a product owner? This is someone that you can then interact with while you build your demo project, while showing this person the advantages of an agile methodology. In essence, instead of insisting on a methodology right off the bat, trying to win them over with a smaller scope project before moving on to larger endeavours.

This is all moot if you don't see any buy-in: there's places that just will not operate with Agile and will stick with Waterfall exclusively.

The culture part is a little more complicated. It's going to depend on how much influence you have and just how much willingness to change you can find with the people you work with.

Thank you, Afonso, for your opinion.

Hi František,

I have been into projects before doing hybrid (waterfall/agile) wherein, we have a set of scope/requirements/pbi and then divide them into sprints and deliver them agile-like. We accommodate changes up to a certain point and as long as within scope, which boils down on the project manager or product owner. So in short, waterfall in terms of requirements and costing and agile in terms of delivery or development.

My concern though on your end is this: "two tree sentence of the solution and want to see the results without any cooperation". Regardless of whatever methodology you use, this is the big problem.

Regards,

JC

Juan Carlos Elorde wrote:

Hi František,

I have been into projects before doing hybrid (waterfall/agile) wherein, we have a set of scope/requirements/pbi and then divide them into sprints and deliver them agile-like. We accommodate changes up to a certain point and as long as within scope, which boils down on the project manager or product owner. So in short, waterfall in terms of requirements and costing and agile in terms of delivery or development.

My concern though on your end is this: "two tree sentence of the solution and want to see the results without any cooperation". Regardless of whatever methodology you use, this is the big problem.

Regards,

JC

Thanks, Juan.