Adopting the OutSystems Agile Platform with agile methods in the Enterprise

Adopting the OutSystems Agile Platform with agile methods in the Enterprise

Hello,

Lately, I’ve frequently been asked about the OutSystems Agile Platform and Agile Network: what tools do they provide and how do they fit in the overall development process?

Here’s what I think: using the Agile Platform core components (Service Studio, Integration Studio and Service Center) is really only a part of the whole process which, as some already said, focus mostly on implementation.
  • What about our project management process?
  • What about embedding it into existing Enterprise practices?
Let me give you some highlights of where and when this happens:
  • In initials stages of the project, we use the Agile Network Sizings in order to calculate the cost of development; the features were previously gathered through User Stories, using a rapid scoping technique to define the high level set of requirements and finally fed into the Sizings tool.

• While initiating the project, we apply scope analysis to further detail and prioritize the requirements; this is all done in the Agile Network Projects tool which allows backlog management, sprint planning, requirements management, recording of change requests, issues, risks and storage of project-related documentation.

• During each Sprint (2 to 3-week-long periods) the development team uses the Agile Platform toolset to assemble and integrate the application; these you already know as Service Studio and Integration Studio. The Projects tool is also frequently updated with the Sprint-related information.

• By the end of each Sprint, according to our Agile approach, a demo session is performed: the end-users and QA team members provide feedback using the platform’s ubiquitous Embedded Change Technology. This tool allows a direct input to the Agile Project database thereby closing the software development life-cycle. How? By retrofeeding the project with new requirements or changes of higher priority which constantly align the development with the current business needs.

What do you think?
  • Do you also size your projects? What techniques do you use?
  • Do you centralize all this effort in a tool or through diverse applications?
  • How short is your development life-cycle?

Let me know about it,
Pedro Gonçalves
OutSystems