Adopting the OutSystems Agile Platform with agile methods in the Enterprise

Hello,

Lately, I’ve frequently been asked about the OutSystems Agile Platform and Agile Network: what tools do they provide and how do they fit in the overall development process?

Here’s what I think: using the Agile Platform core components (Service Studio, Integration Studio and Service Center) is really only a part of the whole process which, as some already said, focus mostly on implementation.
  • What about our project management process?
  • What about embedding it into existing Enterprise practices?
Let me give you some highlights of where and when this happens:
  • In initials stages of the project, we use the Agile Network Sizings in order to calculate the cost of development; the features were previously gathered through User Stories, using a rapid scoping technique to define the high level set of requirements and finally fed into the Sizings tool.

• While initiating the project, we apply scope analysis to further detail and prioritize the requirements; this is all done in the Agile Network Projects tool which allows backlog management, sprint planning, requirements management, recording of change requests, issues, risks and storage of project-related documentation.

• During each Sprint (2 to 3-week-long periods) the development team uses the Agile Platform toolset to assemble and integrate the application; these you already know as Service Studio and Integration Studio. The Projects tool is also frequently updated with the Sprint-related information.

• By the end of each Sprint, according to our Agile approach, a demo session is performed: the end-users and QA team members provide feedback using the platform’s ubiquitous Embedded Change Technology. This tool allows a direct input to the Agile Project database thereby closing the software development life-cycle. How? By retrofeeding the project with new requirements or changes of higher priority which constantly align the development with the current business needs.

What do you think?
  • Do you also size your projects? What techniques do you use?
  • Do you centralize all this effort in a tool or through diverse applications?
  • How short is your development life-cycle?

Let me know about it,
Pedro Gonçalves
OutSystems