Hi All,

This is a untypical community post as I want to hear about your experiences with using BPT.

We need to replace our current commercial off-the-shelve workflow solution with something better/cheaper. Since we are an Outsystems customer, it makes sense to evaluate using BPT.

Has anyone used BPT as an enterprise workflow solution. If Yes:

• How many workflows were encompassed within BPT?
  • How well did this work out?
  • If you had to do it again, would you still use BPT or some other technology?

Solution

We are building an enterprise solution and are happy with the business processes in OutSystems.  The runtime monitoring while basic is enough for our needs, we are also using the Business Activity Monitoring forge component.  But if you have many more processes, I would expect to have to build more fully featured monitoring.  The entities appear to be accessible enough though to do this.

In terms of scale, we currently have 10 business processes of varying degrees of complexity. We have 3 major workflows with around 30 steps including user interaction.  Most of the other processes are really background processing broken into steps rather than a workflow with user interaction.

We have also used a number of other workflow systems in our organisation in the past.  We like OutSystems because the process feature is quite fully featured but also does not impose constraints upon the rest of the application; you can use it or not as required. Other workflow systems I have used appear to only build workflow systems, and make it challenging to build anything else.  I feel like the team who built OutSystems business processes had good experience in building workflow systems due to both the features they have implemented, and the ones they have left out.

The workflow system is quite capable and easy to build and understand what is happening.  It also appears handle deployment of changes extremely well, which I have found unusual in BPT systems.

So yes, I would continue to use it and would use it again.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Stuart

Solution

I use it in a banking systems, all is good, but:

# as we use external entities, we need some tricks

# for communication to external using REST in one way, it is good, but if it is in more ways, like:

we call REST A [external]

we wait [wait activity]

[external] call our system

-- if it happens so fast, it will be race condition - the external can run faster before the wait activity is created, so we need some trick also to manage this.

As we use JavaStack and it is not supported again, our client will move to either .NET or Red Hat BPM.

Stuart Harris wrote:

We are building an enterprise solution and are happy with the business processes in OutSystems.  The runtime monitoring while basic is enough for our needs, we are also using the Business Activity Monitoring forge component.  But if you have many more processes, I would expect to have to build more fully featured monitoring.  The entities appear to be accessible enough though to do this.

In terms of scale, we currently have 10 business processes of varying degrees of complexity. We have 3 major workflows with around 30 steps including user interaction.  Most of the other processes are really background processing broken into steps rather than a workflow with user interaction.

We have also used a number of other workflow systems in our organisation in the past.  We like OutSystems because the process feature is quite fully featured but also does not impose constraints upon the rest of the application; you can use it or not as required. Other workflow systems I have used appear to only build workflow systems, and make it challenging to build anything else.  I feel like the team who built OutSystems business processes had good experience in building workflow systems due to both the features they have implemented, and the ones they have left out.

The workflow system is quite capable and easy to build and understand what is happening.  It also appears handle deployment of changes extremely well, which I have found unusual in BPT systems.

So yes, I would continue to use it and would use it again.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, 

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. Very reassuring to hear!

Sam