Good day everyone,

Subject: Migrating application from OutSystems default app pool to another

In OutSystems, all applications is under Default Website and pointed to OutSystems Application (App Pool) by default. With this, I am planning to point a specific application to newly created application pool. Unfortunately, site is not accessible via external DNS.

The said application has a configured URL under SEO in ServiceCenter. Simply, it has binded with an external certificate.

Please help and thank you in advance

Hi Jayson,

I am not really clear on what you are asking but here's what I can tell you so far.

I cannot find anything in OutSystems documentation about what may happen if you change the App Pool of an application.  Potentially a deployment or an upgrade could change it back to the OutSystemsApplications app pool, but may not and probably won't.

In general, using a separate app pool in IIS will just ensure your application runs in a separate process and allows you to configure different identities

You will need to make sure the user identity has at least he same system permissions as the OutSystemsApplications user.

Could you clarify what your aim is, or what problem it is you are attempting to overcome?

You may want to look into deployment zones if you want to split applications into internal and external applicatons.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Hi Jayson,

I agree with Stuart. I’m not sure what you are trying to achieve, so please help us understand.

However, in addition to Stuart’s accurate information, I can tell you this. You will lose the SEO feature for that application if you are not running it under the Site’s DefaultAppPool which is OutSystemsApplications. 

The IIS ISAPI Filters depend on this in order for the SEO feature to work correctly. 

For more information: https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Maintenance_and_Operations/OutSystems_Platform_SEO_Friendly_URLs

Regards,

Nordin

On my server, currently it is overcome and crash that current app every 2 minutes and my purposes of publish to different app pool would avoid the crashing.

Any help here?

Hi Thomas,

It is not clear to me what issue you're exactly facing.

As I understand now, you have an app that keeps crashing every 2 minutes? Can you describe what happens or share an error log? 

Also, changing the application pool of that app probably won't solve your issue. Keeping all OutSystems applications in the same application pool 'OutSystemsApplications' (with exception of Service Center and 2 other system components) is part of the Platform's installation instructions. So you should keep it that way.

Regards,

Nordin

Hi Stuart and Nordin,

The goal that we wanted to achieve is to use seperate application pool for our external or public facing website that currently catergorized as a huge application. With this, that specific application has its own settings with out affecting other applications/espaces registered on OutSystemsApplicationPool.

But as per Nordin, this will lose the SEO feature for that application if you are not running it under the Site’s DefaultAppPool which is OutSystemsApplications. 

The IIS ISAPI Filters depend on this in order for the SEO feature to work correctly. 

Is there other recommendation?

Regards,

Jayson 

Hi Jayson,

You can always use a reverse proxy:
https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Maintenance_and_Operations/Using_OutSystems_in_Reverse_Proxy_Scenarios

With the reverse proxy you can shift your SEO rules from the platform to the reverse proxy, which means you can have has many AppPools as you want.

It is always a trade-off. Reverse proxy adds extra complexity to the infrastructure but gives you more flexibility. On the other hand SEO makes it simpler but may reduce your options.

IG