Outsystems 11 tablet app. Menu swipe question

Hi,

I have an Outsystems 11 tablet application.  The side menu currently opens and closes with a swipe.  I love it but .... It is preventing me from using other features that I need.  I would like to perform record actions with swipe right and left in list records.  I would also like to use split screens.  I believe that the swipe menu prevents me from using other swipe actions????  The Split Screen shows nowhere is service studio and I dont understand why. Also there is no List Actions widget unless I am to use the swipe inside of records left and right actions?  So my question is how to change the menu setting so that menu only opens with hamburger?  And why am I not seeing Split Screen etc ?

Thanks Again

Rob

Hi Robert,

Regarding the disabling of the swipe of menu, I think you have to delete the Private\MenuTabletDrag from the Menu block in the Common FlowAlternatively if the swipe of the menu should work on certain screens you should condition it with an If widget.

What widget you use to do a 'split screen'? Do you mean the Master detail widget?

Regards,

Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Yes master detail looks a lot like what is called split screen on silk ui mobile website.  I guess I need to install silk ui mobile to see that option?  Is Outsystems UI and Outsystems Silk UI the same? There are a number of features listed Outsystems documentation that I cant find both on left widget tree or on right in Outsystems UI folder..   I am trying to duplicate the swipe left to archive record much like the way that text messages work on cell phones.  I read up and certain swipe events will not work on screens that already have swipe events.  I also noticed the private menu tablet drag block in my menu.  If that is in the menu can you still have swipe actions on list records?  Also when I read the documents there is a widget called List Action, I cant find that anywhere either.  In my list items it has placeholders for right actions and left actions. In documentation it states to use a List action inside these areas to achieve what I am looking for. No List Action widget exists in my application. I try to drag a swipe action in widget tree (into right actions and left actions in list item but it does not work.   This is where I am stuck again.  What am I missing?

Thanks again for all of you help,

Rob

Hi Robert,

In the past the Master detail widget was called Split screen widget. 

You are on V11, for new applications you should not use SilkUI. This is a legacy UI framework.

For all new developments you can use OutSystems UI for mobile, tablet and reactive web applications and OutSystems UI Web for Traditional Web applications.

From reading your questions and the fact that you have an OutSystems account less then a month, I assume you are trying to build an OutSystems tablet application without first following some basic training in how to build OutSystems applications.

I would suggest you follow the Becoming a mobile Developer guided path, which is one of many free training courses of OutSystems. In this course you will develop a mobile ToDo application which contains a list widget and also swipe actions. Following a training is a more structured and fund way of learning how you can build applications then trying doing it without learning the basics and then trying to find answers on the forum.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Believe it or not I have gone through Building Web Applications, Reactive Web Applications and Mobile Application Courses.  I have been working on learning this stuff since September on and off. Much of the training throughout the courses was redundant. Aggregates forms etc.  I was building a Traditional web app until the ability to create Reactive Web Apps was available.  At that time I changed and took reactive course.  The issue was that reactive in the field relies upon cell service. I am in the suburbs of NYC and still there are many dead spots due to topography of northern NJ.  So I then took the mobile course and built the To Do App which is running on my phone. I now have a reactive app and a mobile app sharing the same database.   I have gone through the offline data sync stuff and looked at the Field Services Mobile App. 

I already have many screens built and functioning including Google Maps Boostraps from excel and exports to excel. I have created reusable blocks which was part of my last question.  I read a post where someone had the same situation as me and created all screens as blocks so that they could be reused in both applications. This sounded good but I ran into problem when trying to pass values between screens. That was my last question. 

I think that the problem is that when I get stuck,  before going to the community to ask questions I am googling it.  This is getting me very confused I think because I am reading up on solutions that are not available in my outsystems version.  Anyway I just went back and re-read the directions on the List Actions and figured it out.  I was unaware that it was in the upper toolbar next to the CSS.  Live and learn I guess.  I am far from a programmer at least for now :)

Thanks Again,

Rob

And yes I did do that swipe before. I forgot it was part of the TO DOS. 

Solution

Hi again,

Apologies for my wrong assumptions. By the way is it Bill or Robert as you use two accounts simultaneously?

By no means I wanted to discourage you from asking help on the Forge. 

You are correct that Reactive and Mobile share many same technology but it is not 100% the same. So something's can not be shared or copied between them. 

If you still need help you can also share the .oap file of your application and I promise to have a loo at it.

Cheers,

Daniel

Solution

Daniel,

Yes I am Robert.  Throughout my learning process I have made many mistakes, some of which were not easily corrected (Service Center). So I have my learning and a don't mess this thing up account. I shall let the other get recycled. I was learning traditional and that is diff from Reactive also. That widgets list you sent me clarifies a bit. I am not making so many mistakes anymore and have the data model down now.  Reading old posts is screwing me up a little. I have also been struggling a little with the input masks or lack of.  My form validation gets crazy due to that. I know that in traditional web apps you could use the Custom Masks plugin but I guess that is also not available in Reative or Mobile Applications. Is there a workaround to be able to use it because it would save a lot of time on validation? Otherwise what is the solution to create custom validations? 

Anyway, we have been talking since late September.  You have been a great help!!  

Thanks Again 

Rob

Daniel,

You have always been very helpful and the community is lucky to have guys like you and Eduardo.   Throughout my learning process, as I am not a programmer, I have made several mistakes that were not easily corrected and my original environment that I did all of the training on has been recycled.  I made some errors in Service Center that were not easily fixed.  Also I learned that you really have to have your data model well thought out before beginning.  The people at Outsystems are great and friendly but since I am still in personal environment I am totally dependent on the community.  Someday I hope to be in top tier but have to get things working first.  I have learned through trial and error.  I have torn apart many of the app examples.  Without being able to see data inside the database has been a little challenging.  I have changed data model and now understand that the tables do not get deleted. I have screwed up by using database cleaner wrong etc etc etc etc. That's why I come up as Bill.  I am in the process of taking my thoughts and work from one environment to the other, because its just cleaner that way.  I could spend forever trying to correct my mistakes at this point so its better to start over.  I am getting much quicker as I have done so many times now :) 

Thanks Again,

Rob