The problem with being a Newbie when things are changing quickly (Reactive + SAML)

I'm new to OutSystems - as you may have gathered from some of my other posts...

Never one to do things by halves, I'm trying to achieve the following:

• Build everything using the Reactive framework - both web and mobile
  • Integrate with a SAML provider
  • Use Azure B2C as that SAML provider

So far I've managed to get the Azure B2C set up to allow local and Facebook logins. The plan is to add others once I've got the integration sorted.

There's no support for Exporting/Importing metadata with B2C, so I'm gonna have to configure manually, once I can get me head around the rest of what's involved...

Moving on to integration, I've downloaded IdP and IdP React and am attempting to follow the instructions.

Firstly, the IdP configuration page states:

Since Platform Server Release Jul.2019 CP2 (August 23rd, 2019) you can configure a SAML 2.0 authentication for the whole environment directly in the Users application. Check the documentation on how to Configure SAML 2.0 Authentication.

So I switch to the Configure SAML documentation only to be told:

The SAML 2.0 support provided by the Users module is currently only applicable to Traditional Web applications. To use SAML 2.0 in Mobile or Reactive apps you can use Forge components that address those use cases, like IdP Connector, IdP Mobile and IdP React.

So back to IdP React I go, which means following the original configuration pages.

Stumped at the very first step for Login Flow. Common->NoPermission doesn't exist in the Reactive framework.

Decide to download the IdP Mobile Sample application which has a large number incompatibility issues...

So I'm kinda stuck. And kinda disappointed. I was at NextStep in October and Reactive was clearly shown to be the way forward. I also cannot believe that many large Enterprise businesses will be using this platform without some form of SSO.

I'm happy accept "it's me", but so far trying to get the new way of building apps working with SAML - regardless of provider - appears to be quite difficult.

Needed to get that off my chest...

Cheers,

Roy

Hi,

The deprecated OutSystems UI modules have all new versions. You should be able to replace the reference from the old to the new version without any issues.

Even if you stick with the deprecated versions you should be able to get it working.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi,

The deprecated OutSystems UI modules have all new versions. You should be able to replace the reference from the old to the new version without any issues.

Even if you stick with the deprecated versions you should be able to get it working.

Regards,

Daniel

I'm running the latest modules for everything. The focus of the issue is not on the depreciated elements in the demo, the issue is the guides haven't been updated or you end up going round in circles.

It's OK, if you've been working with the platform for a while and know what is required to make the adjustments.

I'm coming at this very green. I don't want to build traditional web apps and I need to integrate with SAML. There does not appear to be a sample/demo/guided path/etc that takes this in to consideration.

Cheers,

Roy

Hi Roy,

Ok I see what you mean, the screenshot provided by you triggered my response.

Reactive Web is introduced last fall in an MVP form. The product is actively extended by OutSystems every quarter. There is a complete roadmap defined for 2020.

Also components are more and more available for Reactive. But not as stable and welll documented as for traditional web which does already exist for many years.

It would indeed be nice if documentation and features for reactive Web are quickly up to the level as it is for traditional web.

Let's hope component teams.and OutSystems keeps improving this.

Regards,

Dsniel

UKGR wrote:

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

Daniel

I'm running the latest modules for everything. The focus of the issue is not on the depreciated elements in the demo, the issue is the guides haven't been updated or you end up going round in circles.

It's OK, if you've been working with the platform for a while and know what is required to make the adjustments.

I'm coming at this very green. I don't want to build traditional web apps and I need to integrate with SAML. There does not appear to be a sample/demo/guided path/etc that takes this in to consideration.

Cheers,

Roy

Hi UKGR,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and I'm so sorry for your horrible experience setting up SAML on Reactive applications.

We have released Reactive in late October being conscious that SAML out-of-the-box support would not be available for Reactive applications, however, we have been working on that capability and we will release a new version that will already provide the ability to use the SAML setup OOTB for reactive applications.

Although IdP Forge components that you have referenced (IdP and IdP React) are available and ready to be used and not supported by OutSystems, therefore they are not tested against the main use case and each component documentation may not be accurate regarding OutSystems standards.

Thanks for understanding,