Switch off the Extension Log

Switch off the Extension Log

Hi all,

In my espace I need to upload (piece by piece) a lot files (20.000+), from a directory (I've an extentions that uploads the binarydata from a directory on the server) , so I've made a loop and in that loop I use the extension to get the binarydata.
Now Service center log's every call from my espace to the extension, with can cost a lot of time. This is why I want to swich this function off (also because it makes a general log when the extension is called more than 3000 times) for this espace.

Is this possible somewhere?

Kind Regards,
Evert

Hello Evert

You can disable extension logging on the Service Center in two different levels:
  • You can disable the Activity Logging of the espace, which disables Screen, Extension Web References and Web Services logs for that espace
  • You can disable the Activity Logging of the extension, which disables the logging for action calls of this extension, independently which espace is calling them
On the espace level you can access the espace details and reach the Activity Logging on the Operation tab.
On the extension level you can access the extension details and reach the Activity Logging on the Operation tab.

Also note that the extension logging only logs a maximum of 4000 extension logs per web request, already to avoid overhead in these type of operations.

Cheers

Miguel João

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for you're response.

Only for with edition is this available? Our Service Center is the professional edition but this function is not available for us.

You also say that the extension log only logs a maximum of 4000 extentsion logs (the log in our service center say it's maximum is 3000), after the 3000 is reached it's generate a warning log message ("The maximum number (3000) of allowed Extension Logs per request has been exceeded. No more Extension Log messages will be logged in current request."). This warning message is generated for each call over the 3000. So service center got 17.000+ warning messages. (I could see this because of the start time and end time of the action (45 minutes)  and every second I got between 20-30 messages). So the extension log stops at 3000 but the general log starts at 3001 till the end.

Knowing this cost time (only its a little), I want to prevent this.

Kind Regards,
Evert

Hi,

Some adding to this post (still want to know a good answer).

As a solution to this problem I was trying to see if I could directy delete a record from the system extension log tabel, only I couldn't do this because it doesn't was the right espace. Lookin at Service Center I understand the problem because Service Center is Espace nr 1 and has the only right to do this.

Is there a way to pass this by?

I really need a solution to this because my action keep going into a time-out exeption and tryed everything out to prevent that. I think the logging so much call's is one part of the problem so want to switch it off or block it. Now I only got 20.000+ call's that soon will be 120.000+ call's. Not fun to have a log message for every call.

Kind Regards,
Evert

Can you not chunk the data in a way you don't use the extension for each file, but for a set of files?

Hi Joost,

That is not a option for here.

Kind Regards
Evert
Hey Joost and Evert

Sorry for the delay in replying.

You're right, the Professional Edition doesn't include the Selective Logging feature, which being a escalability configuration, is only available on Enterprise Edition. I forgot about that.

Additionally, the Professional Edition shouldn't have the Asynchronous Logging, which probably is why you're getting performance issues on that logic. Without Asynchronous Logging, each log is dumped into the database on the fly by the application, delaying the application execution for that task. Asynchronous Logging offers a way to dump the logs on the database through a Message Queuing system, freeing the application of the burden of writing the logs onto the database.

Evert, I not realyy sure what exactly you're trying to achieve with the data deletion on the log tables, but keep in mind that manually changing the system data model is not recommended, and the log data model includes several diferents tables, for log rotation purposes.

In order to reduce the impact of the log performance, I suggest you send an email to OutSystems Technical Support on how to reduce the number of logs per request, below the default 3000 entries.

Thanks

Cheers

Miguel João

Hello Evert

I didn't your email regarding the number of logs correctly. If you're getting the message ("The maximum number (3000) of allowed Extension Logs per request has been exceeded. No more Extension Log messages will be logged in current request.") more than one for the same web request, then this is a bug. However, I believe this was already fixed in recent revision patches of the Agile Platform.

Which version of Service Center do you have running on that environment?

Thanks

Cheers

Miguel João

Hi Miguel,

The post about trying to delete the system log, is a way I was trying to find a solution toward my problem. Knowing these are the systems table I always take more care before doing something.

I shall send a email towards the Technical Support about the problem, curius about what there gonne say. Because it does looks like a bug to me. I expect one log message that the maximum is reached and it stop logging, not a log message for every call thats above the 3000.

My service center version is: 4.2.4.9.

Thanks for you're reaction.

Kind Regards,
Evert

Hello Evert

As I've suspected, the problem with the extra logs within the same request saying that the "The maximum number (3000) of allowed Extension Logs per request has been exceeded. No more Extension Log messages will be logged in current request." was a bug that has been fixed since revision 4.2.4.13 of the Platfrom Server.

Since you're still running 4.2.4.9, I strongly recommend the latest revision 4.2.4.51, because many bug fixes have been made since then, including this one. After applying this revision patch, you should have at most 3000 extension logs per web request.

Cheers

Miguel João

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for you're quick reply. I don't have the rights to update the Service Center, but I shall make sure this happens.

Kind Regards,
Evert