Views
Comments
[OutSystems UI] Sidebar won't start open
Question
Forge component by OutSystems R&D
Published on 30 Nov 2020

Hi guys!

I was trying to use a Sidebar to have something like an aside with some information, and I would like that the sidebar would start open by default.

I wasn't being able to do it, so after a bit of investigation, I found that you are setting the IsOpen parameter to false on the OnInitialize, and I think it's what is overriding my parameter.

Was this the intended behaviour? Or is this a bug?

Also, I was looking for a feature that we have on the Traditional Web version, which is the HasOverlay parameter. Is this feature on scope to be released, or if I my cliente really need them, it's better to clone the Sidebar pattern and do this changes on my own?

Thanks in advance!

mvp_badge
MVP

Alexandre Santos wrote:

Hi guys!

I was trying to use a Sidebar to have something like an aside with some information, and I would like that the sidebar would start open by default.

I wasn't being able to do it, so after a bit of investigation, I found that you are setting the IsOpen parameter to false on the OnInitialize, and I think it's what is overriding my parameter.

Was this the intended behaviour? Or is this a bug?

Also, I was looking for a feature that we have on the Traditional Web version, which is the HasOverlay parameter. Is this feature on scope to be released, or if I my cliente really need them, it's better to clone the Sidebar pattern and do this changes on my own?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Alexandre!

Can you attach your module to test it from my side?

Thanks.

BR,

Luis

Staff

Hi Alexandre Santos,

Thanks for the feedback. We will look into the IsOpen behavior.

As for the HasOverlay option, that's something we already analyzed when making the patterns ready for Reactive Web. However, for that to happen we would need to deprecate it, and it wasn't a priority at the time. 

Maybe with ongoing feedback we can prioritize that change.

Best regards,

Bernardo Cardoso

Hi everyone,

I also have the same issue. I did some tests and eventually added a "stepping stone" variable that only gets assigned on the "on Ready" event.  

I think this is an important issue since these side bars can serve as "modal" substitutes that can, on simple and complex scenarios, serve as immediate info containers upon screen transition.

(To ensure a smooth transition, i.e panel opening, I actually had to add a setTimeout(0) to send the assignment to the end of the event loop)

TestsND2020SidePanel.oml