Just downloaded community edition; has a fundamental question about server

Just downloaded community edition; has a fundamental question about server

Hi,

I downloaded the community edition seems great and tried the to-do app on localhost. But how would I deploy it on a real server ? Is it Java / ASP.NET, proprietary system / server ?

It's strange that this isn't mentionned anywhere :)

Thanks.

I have finally stumbled upon a tech presentation but still not clear how to deploy on a shared asp.net hosting for example.

Hi lepine,

To have the OutSystems Agile Platform running, you will need to install it in a server that meets the minimum system requirements (see the OutSystems Agile Platform system requirements document). As the OutSystems Agile Platform works over a standard Web Server architecture (ASP.Net or Java over SQL Server or ORACLE), it is easy to install it in house or in a cloud hosted web server (that meets the requirements I mentioned above). We have had several past installations on Amazon EC2 Service. You may easily create a new instance, download the platform to that server and run the installation there.

Best Regards,

Daniel Lourenço

Thank you that was helpfull. But I have already a shared asp.net hosting and just for trying deployment, isn't it possible to deploy by hand without installing the whole Outsystems, only the asp.net files ?

Thanks.

Hi Lepine.

I am not sure if I understand your question, but I will try to help you. If you are talking about deploying the To Do application as it is, I would say that it might be able to be done by copying the asp.net files from your localhost OutSystems server to your asp.net hosting service. I never tried it myself, but you should be able to do it, since OutSystems allows you to download the applications' source code from Service Center. See an example here on how to download the code: http://www.outsystems.com/demos/DemoScreen.aspx?Movie=OutSystems-Overview--What-is-the-Agile-Platform%3f 
I would say that after this you would just need to extract the application code to the ASP.NET server, and set up the server to run it.

However, if you are talking about developing applications for the OutSystems Agile Platform and deploying them, for that you do need to install the OutSystems Agile Platform, since it is the platform that will process the OutSystems application and then generate the asp.net files.

I hope this helps you. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

That's it, I just want to copy the asp.net files. Will try with a simple Hello World first :)

Ok, great!

Let us know how it works out. :)

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares
Did it work ?

If i have a pet project done in outsystems where can i publish it besides my own server ? Is there any hosting company ?

Well, if we just copy the .net files and the database it probably will be a nice work around... but still we'd lose a lot of what outsystems is about...

This would bring a lot of visibility to outsystems...