How do we directly edit database?

Is it possible to directly edit my database without bootstrapping data or creating a form to manually filling up the data?

Hi Tamie,

If you have direct access to the DB (your OutSystems installation is on-premises) then yes. Otherwise, although there are ways around it, there seems to be an effort from the OutSystems product itself to restrict that and guarantee that all DB manipulations go through OutSystems applications.

Can you explain your need? We might be able to better advise on the recommended way to address it (or explore other available options).

Hope this helps!

Hi Tamie,

If you are familiar with SQL than use the SQL Sandbox application available in the Forge.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Tamie,

If you are familiar with SQL than use the SQL Sandbox application available in the Forge.

Regards,

Daniel

Thanks for this Daniel

I wasn't aware this existed on forge and will save me time next time I want to do more advanced things in SQL.

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Tamie,

Regards,

Daniel

I am not familiar with SQL, so I will not be trying this out for now. But thank you for this tip! I will try it in the later stages of my development.

Jorge Martins wrote:

Hi Tamie,

If you have direct access to the DB (your OutSystems installation is on-premises) then yes. Otherwise, although there are ways around it, there seems to be an effort from the OutSystems product itself to restrict that and guarantee that all DB manipulations go through OutSystems applications.

Can you explain your need? We might be able to better advise on the recommended way to address it (or explore other available options).

Hope this helps!

Hi Jorge,

No, I do not have Outsystems on-premises. 

As I am still in the early stages of development and adding new features to my app, there are times where I have to add new attributes to existing entities with records in the DB. Because of this, I have to edit every record in my DB to include a new feature. 

Currently, I am using a Timer (Schedule: When Published) and server action. I filter the records then use For Each to delete or edit records. I am not sure if this is best practice. Perhaps there is another around this? Thanks!

Tamie Wong wrote:

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Tamie,

If you are familiar with SQL then use the SQL Sandbox application available in the Forge.

Regards,

Daniel

I am not familiar with SQL, so I will not be trying this out for now. But thank you for this tip! I will try it in the later stages of my development.

Hi Tamie,

That is perfectly fine. I do want to point out that gaining some basic knowledge of SQL will make your life as an (OutSystems) developer easier. There is a great free learning site that makes learning fun that has a SQL Fundamentals course.

Regards,

Daniel