[File Viewer Plugin] File Viewer Plugin and UIWebView deprecation

Forge Component
(6)
Published on 1 Apr by Experts
6 votes
Published on 1 Apr by Experts

Two of our mobile apps use the File Viewer Plugin, and when submitting to testflight, I receive the following message.

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop acceptingsubmissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs starting from April 2020 . See https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebviewfor more information. 

When I remove the File Viewer Plugin and related actions from one of these apps, and submit again, I don't get this warning, so I can only guess this plugin contains references to uiwebview (I have other plugins in the apps, but it submits fine with them in there, when I remove file viewer plugin).  I have tried the latest version that was released on 24th Feb, and still get the warning.

Are there plans on replacing File Viewer Plugin references to uiwebview with wkwebview as recommended in the link above?  Or do I need to start looking for other solutions, as April is very quickly approaching.

I tried posting this question directly to the Experts using the Message Team action, but have had no response via that method.  So I am hoping someone can help me (I am not a developer, but have been tasked with making sure our mobile apps all make it through testflight before 1st April).

We also had the same problem.

We were trying to submit our apps to the store and we had the Deprecated API Usage message.

Does anybody knows a workaround on this?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

We've updated the plugin with a new version that fixes the API issue.

Give it a try.

Regards

Experts wrote:

Hello,

We've updated the plugin with a new version that fixes the API issue.

Give it a try.

Regards

is that updated plugin work for OS 10 Platform and fix the API issue ?

We've used the new plugin version 1.2.0 in our release and it gets denied by Apple, outsystems told us that the uiwebview reference was coming from this plugin Can any one confirm is that error went away with the new version?

Johann Botha wrote:

We've used the new plugin version 1.2.0 in our release and it gets denied by Apple, outsystems told us that the uiwebview reference was coming from this plugin Can any one confirm is that error went away with the new version?

We are using the new version of this plugin in two apps on OS11.  One now passes the app store (it doesn't have any other plugins), but the other one has multiple plugins and still doesn't pass, but I suspect it is one of the other plugins it uses must have uiwebview references as well.  Apparently you can download the source and open it in something like visual studio and see the uiwebview reference in there yourself to check if it is there, but I'm not a developer so don't actually know how to do that myself, so am waiting on a Developer to help me (or for Experts to reply to my query about whether their "File Plugin", and "File Transfer Plugin" use it).

Alison Lemke wrote:

Johann Botha wrote:

We are using the new version of this plugin in two apps on OS11.  One now passes the app store (it doesn't have any other plugins), but the other one has multiple plugins and still doesn't pass, but I suspect it is one of the other plugins it uses must have uiwebview references as well.  Apparently you can download the source and open it in something like visual studio and see the uiwebview reference in there yourself to check if it is there, but I'm not a developer so don't actually know how to do that myself, so am waiting on a Developer to help me (or for Experts to reply to my query about whether their "File Plugin", and "File Transfer Plugin" use it).

please recheck the application with the multiple plugin that you used, because this plugin now passes the app store. In my experience, Facebook login or google plus is cause rejected from apple app store 

I've checked the source code and can't find any reference to to UIWebView but outsystems support still says its this plugin.

Guess I'm going to have to go through all out plugins source to determine which it is.

Thank You

Johann Botha wrote:

I've checked the source code and can't find any reference to to UIWebView but outsystems support still says its this plugin.

Guess I'm going to have to go through all out plugins source to determine which it is.

Thank You

Yes.. If you've the latest plugin version ,i think the problem from another plugin 

Solution

Hello Alison and all,

I've already submitted an application with this plugin (File Viewer Plugin) without any problems. You just need to upgrade it to its newer version 1.0.3 (I saw that you already did that), so your problem should be another plugin.

About your query, I can tell you that File Plugin is fine as well, since I'm also using it in my application.

Regarding to the other plugins that you are using, please take a look into this post, in which I describe how you should proceed to overpass this issue. I also describe how you can verify if a plugin has UIWebView references or not.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Solution

Rui Barradas wrote:

Hello Alison and all,

I've already submitted an application with this plugin (File Viewer Plugin) without any problems. You just need to upgrade it to its newer version 1.0.3 (I saw that you already did that), so your problem should be another plugin.

About your query, I can tell you that File Plugin is fine as well, since I'm also using it in my application.

Regarding to the other plugins that you are using, please take a look into this post, in which I describe how you should proceed to overpass this issue. I also describe how you can verify if a plugin has UIWebView references or not.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Note my previous message was unclear.  I have successfully passed one of my apps, that only uses the File Viewer Plugin, and it passes now using the new version of File Viewer Plugin for platform 11.  So the new version definitely doesn't have the deprecated UIWebView.

My other app uses a number of different plugins, including File Viewer Plugin, and File Plugin, so thanks Rui for the info on File Plugin, as I can now discount it from my search for the elusive UIWebView.  To be honest I've given up on figuring it out myself, and have passed it to our Development Team to sort out which plugin is still causing the issue.

Thanks for everyone's info.

Stay safe.

Alison