The overall issue is that on the server side I have a table with 80-something columns. Yes - it is a poor design of the database, but we do not have the possibility to restructure it... Anyway it is possible to categorize the columns and instead of listing all the columns on one screen I want to show some columns based on the users selections of the categories (based on a drop down).

If any of you have a better idea on how to do this I am all ears. But I was thinking to create two web blocks:

1. Web block to just show one column of an Entity based on the input parameter of the entity and the name of the column.

2. Web block to hold 10 instances of web blocks of type 1. This will be called by the Interface with the input of which category should be displayed.

Question:

1. Is the overall solution the best solution?

2. When creating web block of type "1" I have stumbled on extracting the record value in the column with the name of the input parameter of the web block. I would have thought that it was something along the lines of:

InputEntity.List.Current.InputText

But that is clearly not allowed. InputEntity, being the entity the Web block get as input and InputText is the text variable containing the name of the column which I want to display...

If you think I am missing a specific tutorial where this is being shown please do not hesitate to throw a link to it for me to follow.

Hi Torben,

And if you try use another component like the datagrid where the user can choice your own configuration to view?

Here is the documentation and here a sample

Regards,

Leandro.

Leandro Correa wrote:

Hi Torben,

And if you try use another component like the datagrid where the user can choice your own configuration to view?

Here is the documentation and here a sample

Regards,

Leandro.

Leandro Correa: The datagrid is a nice alternative to what I want to make, thank you very much for pointing me in that direction. 

The only issue with the datagrid is that we actually want to control that the view is according to the predefined categories - as I understand the datagrid, this is not an option from the development side?

Also, is it correctly understood that latebinding is in no way possible with OutSystems? I think that is what I needed if I should have solved my issue according to my second question.

Hi Torben,

This is a great challenge :D 

Maybe you can use some CSS with variables and preset to show/hide the table columns...  

I found another component, maybe this help you.

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-overview/3669/dynamictable

Regards,

Leandro.