How to compare DB Schema between QA and Production in Outsystem

1.New column added to  the existing table 

2.Modifying the constraints to the existing table 

3.Adding new table to existing table. 

4.Modifying the constraints to existing column in the table. 

For above mentioned DB changes in outsystem  ,Do we have schema comparison tool or best practice  provided by Outsystem before moving from QA to production ?.... 

Because of we are facing run time issue while publising into production . 

Please advise to address this kind of scenario in effective manner

Hi Jeyaram,

Let assume we have table 1,

1.New column added to  the existing table - attribute1 is added to table 1 - Correct?

2.Modifying the constraints to the existing table - Change the constraint

3.Adding new table to existing table. - ?

4.Modifying the constraints to existing column in the table. - ?

Please can you explain with actual explain because making such changes in database may be result in error in production if data is already present in prod for that column. Also it good if you post actual error here.

Thanks,

Rajat

Hi Palani,

Usually these changes start from development environment not from QA. for your above queries:

1.New column added to  the existing table,- yes you can add

2.Modifying the constraints to the existing table- yes but keep in mind, if data is already exist in the same table may not have conflict with it. 

3.Adding new table to existing table.- yes you can add new table. 

4.Modifying the constraints to existing column in the table. - yes you can change the constraint but again if you already have data in that table which do not follow that constraint then definitely, you will face the issues.

in Outsystems all,  the standard db rules are applicable.

example:

one your employee table previous has employeeId as text column data type but now you have change it integer but in your prod/qa employee table have employeeid with some characters values which is not integer then you will definitely face the issue or you need to clear the old information first.

I will suggest you to make the changes first in dev then push the code to QA.

Regards,

Manish Jawla 

Rajat Agrawal wrote:

Hi Jeyaram,

Let assume we have table 1,

1.New column added to  the existing table - attribute1 is added to table 1 - Correct?

2.Modifying the constraints to the existing table - Change the constraint

3.Adding new table to existing table. - ?

4.Modifying the constraints to existing column in the table. - ?

Please can you explain with actual explain because making such changes in database may be result in error in production if data is already present in prod for that column. Also it good if you post actual error here.

Thanks,

Rajat

Hi Rajat, 

thanks for valuable comments.. Here i am trying to convey ... is there any DB schema comparison option/tool/forge support by Outsystem ?... 

DB schema comparison required between Dev/QA/Production... 

Manish Jawla wrote:

Hi Palani,

Usually these changes start from development environment not from QA. for your above queries:

1.New column added to  the existing table,- yes you can add

2.Modifying the constraints to the existing table- yes but keep in mind, if data is already exist in the same table may not have conflict with it. 

3.Adding new table to existing table.- yes you can add new table. 

4.Modifying the constraints to existing column in the table. - yes you can change the constraint but again if you already have data in that table which do not follow that constraint then definitely, you will face the issues.

in Outsystems all,  the standard db rules are applicable.

example:

one your employee table previous has employeeId as text column data type but now you have change it integer but in your prod/qa employee table have employeeid with some characters values which is not integer then you will definitely face the issue or you need to clear the old information first.

I will suggest you to make the changes first in dev then push the code to QA.

Regards,

Manish Jawla 

Hi Manish, 

thanks for your valuable comments.. I just made generic statement , Generally we used develop from dev and we will push it to QA and then production. We are following that procedure, there is no doubt that. 

Here i am trying to convey ... is there any DB schema comparison option/tool/forge support by Outsystem ?... 

DB schema comparison required between Dev/QA/Production just to verify our changes before pushing to next stage. 

Hi Palani,

I don't think there is such tool available in the forge.

You can raise a support ticket with Outsystems Support, may be they can come up some better alternative.

Regards,

Manish Jawla