Partitioning tables

Partitioning tables

Hi

would partitioning tables be a problem in outsystems?
How do you handle partition tables in outsystems?
Hi Robert,

I'm pretty sure existing partitioned tables work as expected when you import them using Integrations Studio.

On a second scenario, if you partition a table that it is created in Service Studio I'm not sure that the publishing phase will work correctly afterwards. If you have a chance to test this I would be very interested in knowing the results.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi Robert,

Importing a partioned table through Integration Studio as Tiago sugested will work fine and that would be the recomended way to do it.

Partioning a table that was created in Service Studio is a bit of slipery slope and will depend on the Database Stack you are using.
I'm pretty sure it won't work on SQL Server and I'm pretty sure it will work on Oracle.

Best Regards
David Nunes
@itago "On a second scenario, if you partition a table that it is created in Service Studio I'm not sure that the publishing phase will work correctly afterwards. If you have a chance to test this I would be very interested in knowing the results."

@David "Partioning a table that was created in Service Studio is a bit of slipery slope and will depend on the Database Stack you are using.
I'm pretty sure it won't work on SQL Server and I'm pretty sure it will work on Oracle."

Ok, I would like it to work for SQL Server, I know how SQL Server partition works but i'm not too sure how oracle does it,
how come you are sure it would work on oracle but not on SQL server? 
Hi Robert,

It comes down to the way the databases store table metadata for partioned tables.

Sql Server stores partioning information using among other objects index entries on the database metadata tables and that will most likely break eSpace publication.
Oracle stores partitioning metadata differently and shouldn't break publication.

If you can test it, go for it and let's us know what you find.

Best Regards
David Nunes

Hi all,

Is there any new information about this theme ?
(namely on using partitioning on SQL server, on tables created on Service Studio)

Regards,
Pedro Moita.
Hi Pedro,

Asides from what's published here, there isn't much more.

Robert: did you go much further into this?

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
@Paulo

"Robert: did you go much further into this?"

Table partitioning has not been tested, but it is assume that there is a high chance that SQL server partitioning will work with the Agile platform seemlessly since, partitioning does not change the structure of the database table thrus is transparent to the application since none of the queries will need to be changed as a result of table partitioning.

Here is a quote from microsoft.com

"SQL Server 2005 offers a way to easily and consistently manage large tables and indexes through partitioning, which allows you to manage subsets of your data outside of the active table. This provides simplified management, increased performance, and abstracted application logic, as the partitioning scheme is entirely transparent to the application. When your data has logical groupings (ranges or lists) and larger queries must analyze that data within these predefined and consistent ranges, as well as manage incoming and outgoing data within the same predefined ranges, then range partitioning is a simple choice. If you are looking at analysis over large amounts of data with no specific range to use or if all queries access most, if not all of the data, then using multiple filegroups without any specific placement techniques is an easier solution that will still yield performance gains."

Solution
Hi Community,

The Platform supports partitioning for Oracle, SQL Server and MySQL databases (SQL Server partitioning only for OutSystems Platform 7.0+).

This article explains how to do it:
How to apply partitioning to OutSystems Platform entities (database tables)
Solution