Tagging a release in non-development environment

Hi there,

I'd like to know what would happen if I tagged my applications in a non-development environment. 

I have a plethora of applications that I haven't tagged on milestones and have let Lifetime handle it so far. But now i need to tag the applications with a specific version but development has since moved on and my only option now is to tag the applications in the UAT environment. 

My question is: Would it cause an issue in Development and Quality Assurance environments? What should be my plan of action from there?

Thanks in advance,

Sunil

Hi Sunil,

I have never tried this way but I think when you tag your application directly in UAT environment. Only thing you have to take care of is for your future deployments your versions numbers should be different from the one set on UAT.

Hi Sunil,

When you manually tag a version a few things happen:

• A tagged version is a snapshot of your application development state.
  • Version number and description are recorded.
  • If you do this in DEV, then development on the modules of the application can continue, while the tagged version will be used for deployment to the next environment in line.
  • Be default when cleaning up old versions of a module, the tag versions are not deleted. Do know with the latest version of the LifeTime deployment API you can also cleanup tagged versions.

But, if you do a deployment from DEV to TEST, without first manually tagging a version, what OutSystems does is a Tag & Deploy. So I would think your UAT version is tagged either way. No need to tag it again.

Regards,

Daniel

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Sunil,

I have never tried this way but I think when you tag your application directly in UAT environment. Only thing you have to take care of is for your future deployments your versions numbers should be different from the one set on UAT.

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for the quick response. 

My worry with that is Lifetime might raise a version mismatch warning. I guess I'll need to give it a shot with a sample application to find out.

I'll post my findings once done.

Thanks,

Sunil

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Sunil,

When you manually tag a version a few things happen:

• A tagged version is a snapshot of your application development state.
  • Version number and description are recorded.
  • If you do this in DEV, then development on the modules of the application can continue, while the tagged version will be used for deployment to the next environment in line.
  • Be default when cleaning up old versions of a module, the tag versions are not deleted. Do know with the latest version of the LifeTime deployment API you can also cleanup tagged versions.

But, if you do a deployment from DEV to TEST, without first manually tagging a version, what OutSystems does is a Tag & Deploy. So I would think your UAT version is tagged either way. No need to tag it again.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the elaboration. Good to know about the clean-up process.Let me expand on my requirements. 

We have been building a product for some time now and haven't manually tagged any application which means lifetime has been doing the automatic "tag & deploy" as you mentioned. But now we're at a stage where we have reached a milestone and would like to tag the applications with Version 1.0 and not 0.xxx as Lifetime has been doing so far. So here onward Lifetime can start versioning 1.1 etc. 

But because the development for 1.1 is already underway I can not do it in Dev and would like to do it in UAT where the hypothetical 1.0 version is present. So I'd like to call it that by tagging it in that environment.

As mentioned in my previous reply I'll try to do with a sample application and come back with more concrete questions as this one seems to be quiet debatable as each person reading would have their own interpretation.

Solution

Hi All,

Thanks to a couple to unrelated google searches, I was able to find an option to achieve what I wanted to.

Si here is how I did it. 

• Select the Application I wanted to tag in Lifetime applications list.
  • Click Tag Version
  • And choose the version according to the UAT environment.

This taught me that Lifetime Tag versions are synced and are maintained across environments. We tag one version in an environment and the version number is synced across all the environments. Not sure if it's really sync-ed or OS is using the same Version Entity in Lifetime environment. That remains a mystery for me.

Glad that I found a solution. Thank you Daniël Kuhlmann and Nikhil Gaur for your valuable feedback.

Solution