[Firebase Mobile] Apple Store : ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage

Forge Component
(22)
Published on 26 May by Patrícia Glória Ferreira
22 votes
Published on 26 May by Patrícia Glória Ferreira

Hello David

Thank you for plugin. Work very fine. But when we send  app to Apple Store a warning is generated:

"Dear Developer,

We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, "Trugghub Na Estrada" 1.1.0 (3). Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of new apps that use UIWebView APIs starting from April 2020. See https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview for more information.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can upload a new binary to App Store Connect."

I opened a support case with the Outsystems team and the answer was:

"Regarding the 2nd Plugin: Firebase Mobile (Not Officially Supported)

Analyzing the generated source code it is possible to find references to UIWebView, in particular in the following segment:"

My question is: You have intention that update your plugin to MABS 6.1 that this issue has fix?

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Release_Notes/Mobile_Apps_Build_Service/MABS_Version_6.1

Best Regards

Hi Jeferson,

We are aware of that issue and are trying to find a solution, right now we've tried to upgraded iOS frameworks of firebase, which one of them is the one you mentioned, FirebaseAuth.

Once we did that, the plugin no longer compiles an iOS app, throwing a compilation error. We are actively trying to fix the issue and once we have any update will give you.

In the meantime, if you or anyone else find a solution please reach out to us. 

Best Regards,

Patrícia

Hello, Patricia,

Was about to share this on the forums too: indeed FirebaseAuth contains these references and needs to be updated to at least version 6.8.1.

Having said that, it is quite a bump from version 4.6.1, so there will most likely be breaking changes :\

Carlos Simões wrote:

Hello, Patricia,

Was about to share this on the forums too: indeed FirebaseAuth contains these references and needs to be updated to at least version 6.8.1.

Having said that, it is quite a bump from version 4.6.1, so there will most likely be breaking changes :\

Thanks for the update

I was really very much frustrated!

Hi Carlos Simões,

We updated the versions to the latest ones according to https://cdn.cocoapods.org/ repository.

We were also expecting that we would get an error with some deprecated methods, but right now we can't even import the frameworks correctly. We are getting an error on the imports of the frameworks.

We are currently stuck here.

Attached is the full app generation log we've asked Outsystems were we found the error above.

Patrícia Glória Ferreira wrote:

Hi Carlos Simões,

We updated the versions to the latest ones according to https://cdn.cocoapods.org/ repository.

We were also expecting that we would get an error with some deprecated methods, but right now we can't even import the frameworks correctly. We are getting an error on the imports of the frameworks.

We are currently stuck here.

Attached is the full app generation log we've asked Outsystems were we found the error above.

Looks like a tough one to crack :\ According the original repository of the plugin, the best alternative would be to look at (or ultimately migrate) to FirebaseX, which references a different set of versions of CocoaPods.

Migrating is blocked off, since there's no Android X support yet, but maybe using those versions is a viable option.

Having said all of this, using a Mac while troubleshooting this would be the course action with the quickest feedback loop, so I'd advise that.

anne jones wrote:

Carlos Simões wrote:

Hello, Patricia,

Thanks for the update

I was really very much frustrated!

no reply yet? :/ 9apps vidmate  vlc

Hi Carlos Simões,

Unfortunately, the firebaseX plugin is not compatible with MABS 6.1 (eg: cordova CLI). Although it seems to be a very interesting thing to investigate once MABS versions are upgraded since it also has google sign for example :)

With the help of David Sousa, I've already understood the framework versions that are compatible and we are actively trying to fix the issue. I hope to have news in the near future!

Thanks for your help and insights!

Thank you Patricia and Carlos!

I'll also see how I can help.

Hey I really appreciate that this is no trivial fix, but just wondered if there were any update on this?

I currently utilise Firebase in one of our mobile apps that is being updated and will have to go through Apple/Google review soon. Just to know if it would be better to remove Firebase from the app, or push back deployment?

Thanks

Chris 

Christopher Kennedy wrote:

Hey I really appreciate that this is no trivial fix, but just wondered if there were any update on this?

I currently utilise Firebase in one of our mobile apps that is being updated and will have to go through Apple/Google review soon. Just to know if it would be better to remove Firebase from the app, or push back deployment?

Thanks

Chris 

Hi Chris, I cant speak to the timeline of getting it fixed but I do know if you are just pushing an app update, Apple is giving you until Dec 2020 to update this code.  We just sent an update to the app store and they just sent a notice that the UIWebview is depricated, but they will not reject your app.  If you are submitting a brand new app though they are enforcing it.

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=12232019b

Thanks Jason,

Was getting a bit worried! Ill follow the post so im kept updated. 

Chris

Hi Patrícia Glória Ferreira

How are you doing?

Good news for us?

Today i tried submit a new app to Apple store and already has blocked. Look:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - New apps that use UIWebView are no longer accepted. Instead, use WKWebView for improved security and reliability. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview).

Thank you.

Hi Patrícia Glória Ferreira,

How are you? 

For us this is a blocking issue too, we have developed a new app for our customer and he wants to enroll it in May 2020 and it's now not accepted in the Apple store.

I am looking forward to your response!

greetings and thank you.

Hi Patrícia Glória Ferreira, Team,

When do you expect to solve this problem? do you have an insight on this? 

thanks very much!

Hi all,

We're able to fix the problem with Apple's deprecated API by removing Crashlytics, Remote Config and Performance Monitoring services from the plugin. Keeping notification and analytics.

For now, this is enough for us and therefore we will stop working on this until we have some news from Outsystems about supporting Cordova CLI 9.0 so that we use the repo that Carlos Simões suggested.

Once I'm able will update the plugin version to the one with the fixes, in the worst case, at the beginning of next week will be available.

That's great news, Patrícia!

Bear in mind that to use FirebaseX, beyond Cordova CLI 9, Android X will need to be supported by MABS. It may be coming, but it's something the team needs to consider carefully, since simply "turning it on" would cause older plugins to stop working altogether.

Carlos Simões,

Yes, if MABS supports the Cordova CLI 9 at least, the iOS part we would be able to fix, at least we hope so.

But, indeed, a MABS upgrade brings other complications :/

Hi Carlos Simões,

We are having the same problems with this plugin, but also with another ones. Some of them have a solution developed with CLI 9...

So we have a new APP in Beta testing, but it was blocked on App Store due the ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage. 

To fix this plugin we need to remove the Crashlytics, Remote Config and Performance Monitoring services? And the others plugins the solution is remove features too? Or OS will find a fix on MABS?

Thank you

Solution

Just uploaded version 1.0.8 which will fix the Apple store warning.

Please keep in mind that with this version, Crashlytics, Performance Monitoring and Remote Config aren't supported.

Solution