Need help adding and changing content in basic Outsystems DB

New User Not Developer Been Through Tutorials

Systems looks like it will work for me but I cannot seem to get the basics of adding (using a form on a screen) or editing (via a screen) simple Database content.  I get the feeling I am missing something simple but crucial.

I have been through plenty of tutorials but none replicate my issue or the options on the tutorials are simply not available to me. (not sure why).  It is a reactive web app.  Free/Personal environment.  Just setting up.  I have uploaded the very basic problem though this does not tackle editing (help there appreciated).  

Pointers to a tutorial or video will help. 

I am not a developer and whilst I understand the logic of DB design I am struggling to grasp the interface here.  I can see it is user friendly but if the tutorial is not perfect I cannot quite get where I need to be. Have tried all sorts of combos in the Source section (currently blank) as this does not match the Record in the tutorial I watched. 

Thanks for anybody who will give me the time to get the ball rolling here.  I have been watching videos on this solidly for 2 days and also spruced up my DB understanding over the Easter break.  Shattered and need pointing in the right direction!

Once I understand this and editing I think I will be moving... 

Hey Matthew!

Welcome to OutSystems :-)

Now, before I check what you were doing there on your module, can you tell us what tutorials you've been through? This is the guided path you should follow if you haven't already. It goes through plenty of things, including Add/Edit screens and how to implement them the hard and the easy way.

Succinctly, you can use the same screen for both behaviours, and just adjust some of the UI to mention Edit or New. The key to it is using the CreateOrUpdateEntity entity action (that you can find expanding an Entity in the Data tab)

Hope you're on your way and building apps in no time!

Yes, that is the path I am following. It is very useful but the tutorials seem to skip this specific issue (whilst they do achieve it, I cannot replicate it). Incidentally, the course does not seem to record what you go through very well - not that this bothers me! I just want to learn. Just giving you the feedback. Thanks 

Even other videos on YouTube show somebody doing this exact thing but the options he creates are not available to me (record in Source). 

Ok, after checking your module... definitely follow the guided path I suggested on the previous post (videos, quizes and exercises).

You started well, you have an Aggregate to read your LenderTable (in case you're editing). But you are missing a filter there to choose one specific LenderTable. And for that your screen needs to receive the Id of the LenderTable you want to edit as an input parameter.

If a Lender with that Id is not found (or if the Id is NullIdentifier()), the Aggregate will return an empty list, and the Current attribute will have a record with default values for all its attributes (perfect for adding a new LenderTable).

Your user then fills in the single input you have on your form and presses the Save button... and here you hit your problem, what to save. Well, again your code is promising, you are already using the CreateOrUpdateLenderTable action... you just need to pass it the right record, the one the user changed when they typed the Name: GetLenderTables.List.Current.LenderTable

Finally, typically Entities have meaningful business names, so instead of LenderTable, a better name would be simply Lender.

Hope this explanation helps!

Hi, Mattew.

Perhaps this playlist can help you. I know it's in Portuguese, but I think you can turn on automatic translation and just try to follow what he's doing. He is creating a simple system for giving away gifts. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Na8HqI_UmI&list=PLY-9oEzuBhdeRrOcAH4WZNE-5NOeR5sWs

Best regards.

This is explained in the Building Reactive Web Forms lesson, in particular on the Build a Detail Screen Exercise.

Notice how your application is not using the wrapper server actions the exercise uses? That might why the aggregate's record is not suggested, although I've also noticed lately sometimes obvious suggestions aren't being shown.

Suggestions are exactly that suggestions they don't limit you in any way, just accelerate the development. You can always choose (Expression Editor...) from the dropdown and from there you will be able to find the required record, if you don't want to type it by hand.

Eduardo S Sales Rodrigues wrote:

Hi, Mattew.

Perhaps this playlist can help you. I know it's in Portuguese, but I think you can turn on automatic translation and just try to follow what he's doing. He is creating a simple system for giving away gifts. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Na8HqI_UmI&list=PLY-9oEzuBhdeRrOcAH4WZNE-5NOeR5sWs

Best regards.

Thank you for responding.  I found the video helpful just as you suggested.  

Jorge Martins wrote:

This is explained in the Building Reactive Web Forms lesson, in particular on the Build a Detail Screen Exercise.

Notice how your application is not using the wrapper server actions the exercise uses? That might why the aggregate's record is not suggested, although I've also noticed lately sometimes obvious suggestions aren't being shown.

Suggestions are exactly that suggestions they don't limit you in any way, just accelerate the development. You can always choose (Expression Editor...) from the dropdown and from there you will be able to find the required record, if you don't want to type it by hand.

Thanks Jorge.  I can get there now.  The wrapper and the setup is a key component, it does also setup the prompts for the connections sources etc which is invaluable for somebody with my inexperience.  That is enough for me to run at for a while now.  Thank you. I will continue the course.  Ultimately what I am looking to do is construct a database that is maintained using your system (that bit seems to be great now, or will be) then use it to process small volumes of data to produce results which initially I will be able to output on the screen.   I then hope to upload a spreadsheet (to save re-keying) and to export the results too.  If that all works then I will need to scale up and look at the paid option as ultimately it will have worked so I can really go for it.  

Aside from the course I am covering, please could you let me know of anything else that may help me in this task!  Initially it is small users and internal only so I am not bothered about the look of it just now.  Once it works on scale we can revisit all of that, even if it needs rebuilding as it will be quick enough to do once I know what I am doing.

Thanks again for the support Jorge, I have a sneaky feeling I will be back but as it stands, I think things are promising.