Audit trouble

Hi,

I've included an Audit Action in several different spots (User Actions, Web Screen Preparation , Screen Action)

But nothing gets logged...
I'm checking Monitoring/General Log, which, by the way, is empty!

Should this process be automatic or is there something to be done in Service Center to activate Auditing?

Thanks
Best Regards
Nuno Azevedo
Hi Nuno.

First of all welcome to our community. I hope you find all the answers you look for and also that you contribute in helping others.

The built-in action Audit creates log entries asynchronously in the Platform's General Log.
For this to happen the Audit feature must be active.
Check in the Operation tab of the eSpace in Service Center if the Audit Feature is active or not.

Cheers,
André
Hi Andre,

First of all thanks for your help.

The auditing is enabled.

Is there something else to check?

Thanks
Regards
Nuno Azevedo

Nuno,

There may be also a license restriction to this.
Validate your license features in Administration > Licensing. See if you have Asynchronous Logging enabled.

Cheers,
André

Hi Nuno,

Just a minor remark:

There are 2 licensing features that "control" the lots: "Applications Monitoring" and "Asynchronous Logging".

The first one, 'Applications Monitoring', if licensed means that you are can have application logs as genaral logs, audits, web-service logs, etc. If the feature is disabled, you only have access to the error logs.

Follows the description of the "Applications Monitoring" feature:
Allows you the access to several applications monitoring capabilities, such as application audits, low performance queries, Screen hits, Web References invocations from your eSpaces and Web Services invocations to your eSpaces. This feature is available under the Monitoring Tab. Not Licensed -

The other feature, Asynchronous Logging, indicates if the logs are synchronous or asynchronous. When logs are asynchronous, the application sends the message to log to a message-queue and OutSystems Log Service writes them to the database. This means that applications became faster since they don't write synchronously to the database.

Follows the description of the "Asynchronous Logging" feature:
Allows you to enable asynchronous logging in the Platform Server. Asynchronous logging takes advantages of Message Queues to provide greater scalability than synchronous logging and increased robustness.

To check if you have these features, in the Service Center, go to Adminstration --> Licensing.

Regards,
João Portela
Hi João,

Thank you for the correction.

Cheers,
André
Hi,

We have the professional version 4.2.4.51.
Applications Monitoring -> Licensed
Asynchronous Logging -> Not Licensed

What should I do to get Audit to work in this version?
Is it possible to use with what we have?

Thanks
Best Regards
Nuno Azevedo
Hi Nuno,

According to your information you should be able to see entries in the General Log. I advise you to contact OutSystems Support so that they can help you solving this problem.

Cheers,
André
Hi Nuno,

The "Applications Monitoring" should allow you to log/audit into the general log, in a synchronous mode (Since "Asynchronous Logging" is not licensed).

If you can't see the logs in the Service Center, General Log screen, then it should be a bug.

I would suggest you to request the help from the OutSystems Product Support (email to support@outsystems.com,  but before requesting this help, I would certify that the logs are not being really stored in the database. If you have access to the database you can check the OSLOG_GENERAL view for the audit logs.

regards,
João Portela

When using audits. is there a way to check if the licence is ok and thus the audit will work?
especially within extensions?

or do you get an exception by any chance?

Hi Joost,

The only way to check if your license allows auditing is in Service Center Licensing page.

When you don't have a license that allows audits the audit simply do not logs. There's no exceltion thrown, otherwise applications (e.g. Enterprise Manager) would not work since almost all applications have audits.

An optional way to check if you have audits is to check (after some seconds) if the audit was logged in the System General log table.

Regards,
João Portela