If we have 2 lines of work in a development in Outsystems:

1. One part in production
  2. Other part in development

If there are changes in the productive part, what is the best way to make them? (in case there are changes in common parts)

Josep Chaqués Ojeda wrote:

If there are changes in the productive part, what is the best way to make them? (in case there are changes in common parts)

I'm not sure If I understood well your question, you have people working in the production environment and also in the development and you wanna merge the work?

Usually, the lifecycle of the app is Dev -> QA -> Pro, with changes on Pro just if you need to make a hotfix, and after doing the hotfix you need to replicate those change to QA -> Dev

If both are working in the same components possible when trying to merge one of the lines will lose the changes because will generate conflicts and you need to choose the version you want

Hi

Are you using 4 layer Canvas architecture?

Do you want to make some hotfix?

Carlos Lessa wrote:

I'm not sure If I understood well your question, you have people working in the production environment and also in the development and you wanna merge the work?

Usually, the lifecycle of the app is Dev -> QA -> Pro, with changes on Pro just with you need to make a hotfix, and after doing the hotfix you need to replicate those change to QA -> Dev

If both are working in the same components possible when try to merge one of the lines will lose the changes because will generate conflicts and you need to choose the version you want

Exactly, you got it right. There are specific parts where the project is divided and it is possible, but in others what you say will happen...

Salman Ansari wrote:

Hi

Are you using 4 layer Canvas architecture?

Do you want to make some hotfix?

Yes, if there is a change in the data model (for example) it is difficult to make it...

Carlos Lessa wrote:

Usually, the lifecycle of the app is Dev -> QA -> Pro, with changes on Pro just with you need to make a hotfix, and after doing the hotfix you need to replicate those change to QA -> Dev

If both are working in the same components possible when try to merge one of the lines will lose the changes because will generate conflicts and you need to choose the version you want

Exactly, you got it right. There are specific parts where the project is divided and it is possible, but in others what you say will happen...

Well, I worked this way before and what I learned if stop, rethink and move the development part just to the Dev environment, the time lost in refactoring and redoing work that was lost in the merge is huge and not worth.

Carlos Lessa wrote:

Carlos Lessa wrote:

Well, I worked this way before and what I learned if stop, rethink and move the development part just to the Dev environment, the time lost in refactoring and redoing work that was lost in the merge is huge and not worth.

It is good to know, thanks for sharing your experience, I will take it into account

Solution

Hello Josep.

The number one point is that you shouldn't do development in production. Now that is clear, let's talk about how you do it.

I think it is obvious that the version in production is very more critical than the one in dev. You can't simply lose functionality so critical that you implemented it in production. So you should merge, take note of the differences, but keep the prod version and "discard" the dev changes.

Solution

Nuno Reis wrote:

Hello Josep.

The number one point is that you shouldn't do development in production. Now that is clear, let's talk about how you do it.

I think it is obvious that the version in production is very more critical than the one in dev. You can't simply lose functionality so critical that you implemented it in production. So you should merge, take note of the differences, but keep the prod version and "discard" the dev changes.

Exactly, and value the effort. Thank you.