Update Plataform Server from version 10 to 11

Hi All,

I'm need to update my companie on premisses Outsystems version and I'm have some questions to decide the best way to do this update.

OS Server: Windows 2016 Data Center Server

Plataform Server: 10.0.804.0

Number of espaces: 470

Number of servers per environment: DEV (2), UAT (6), PRD (7), Lifetime (1)  

We need to update for lastest Outsystems 11 version and my questions are:

1. Is there a way to upgrade directly to version 11 in order to guarantee the functioning of existing applications today or is it necessary to review all applications?

2. Is there some guidelines to follow for update our servers with more security?

3. Is more guarantee update first to latest 10 version and after update to 11 version or all patches are cumulative?

4. I think about create new Outsystems version 11 infrastructure and migrate our applications from version 10 to version 11. Is a good way to do?

Sorry if my questions seem basic but unfortunately we don't have someone specializing in the company regarding infrastructure for Outsystems platform and I'm trying to learn these issues to update our infrastructure follow the best security and guidelines.

Thanks,

Hi Igor,

Regarding to your questions, these are my answers:

1. Is there a way to upgrade directly to version 11 in order to guarantee the functioning of existing applications today or is it necessary to review all applications?

• When you upgrade your platform server from version 10 to 11, every module will need to be upgraded as well. In order to do the upgrade, you just need to republish the modules in your factory (after the upgrade of the platform server).

2. Is there some guidelines to follow for update our servers with more security?

• The guideline that you should follow is the Checklist for OutSystems Platform Server Installation. You can download this file in the OutSystems website. Then, you should select the option Upgrade to a new Major Release and you just need to follow the steps in the checklist.

3. Is more guarantee update first to latest 10 version and after update to 11 version or all patches are cumulative?

• There is no point in doing that. Just upgrade directly to version 11.

4. I think about create new Outsystems version 11 infrastructure and migrate our applications from version 10 to version 11. Is a good way to do?

• I don't think that you really need to do this unless you want a backup of your entire factory. It should be relatively simple to upgrade the platform server version following the checklist. Like I said before, after that, you just need to republish all the modules (for example, using a solution) and the upgrade will be completed.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Thanks Rui for your attention.

One more question:

If I updated one environment in my infrastructure for example (DEV). Is compulsory update all environments or they can be updated separated?

For example I have Outsystems 11 in DEV environment and 10 in HOM and PRD environments. 

If isn't possible how can I avoid problems that occur due to incompatibility in my applications? Because I can do the update quickly in all environment but get an performance error and need rewrite some code from a specific application.

[]s,

Hi Igor,

I just wan’t to share some documentation with you that answer a large part of your questions.

First, go through this official documentation: Upgrade OutSystems Platform

Also, make sure to go through the side effects and breaking changes documentation. It is for example important to know beforehand that LifeTime needs to run on a dedicated server for OutSystems 11. You can no longer run LifeTime on an existing environment like this was the case for OutSystems 10.

Finally, here’s another nice article that walks you through the steps of upgrading to OutSystems 11.

EDIT:

Check out this post too Igor in order to learn why choosing for a migration might be an interesting choice.

Regards,

Nordin

Hello again Igor,

If I updated one environment in my infrastructure for example (DEV). Is compulsory update all environments or they can be updated separated?

• They need to be upgraded separately. This intervention needs to be executed for each environment.

If isn't possible how can I avoid problems that occur due to incompatibility in my applications? Because I can do the update quickly in all environment but get an performance error and need rewrite some code from a specific application.

• My suggestion is that you start with DEV environment. But you should schedule and organize your upgrade interventions properly alongside with your applications life cycles. For example, if you need to migrate an application from UAT to PRO in a short time, maybe you shouldn't do any intervention shortly. What we usually do in our factory is:
    • Perform the upgrade interventions when there are no scheduled code migrations between environments;
    • Perform the upgrade interventions when there are no deploys on the servers (for example, in the weekend);
    • Perform the upgrade interventions in all of the environments at once (or as quickly as possible).

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas