Migration of Old-school Databases

Migration of Old-school Databases

I've done a few searches on this topic, and didn't find what I was looking for, but I suspect there is some robust discussion of it somewhere...

If we've got a legacy application with plenty of tables and data that we'd like to move "into" the platform so that it's managed by the platform and fully supports True Change and all that goodness, what kind of a process would be used?

Is there any kind of "deep" import entities capability or utility that brings the entities under platform control?
Hi Jeffrey,

You should be able to create a Linked Server in SQL (Express) 2005 and with that be able to import the structures in Integration Studio:
http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/Microsoft-Access/Configuring-a-Linked-Microsoft-Access-Server-on-SQL-2005-Server/1/

Hope this helps a bit
Hi Jeffrey,

To connect to an ORACLE or Microsoft SQL Server database, you can use the OutSystems add-ons for database connectivity - Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services and ORACLE Database Integration Services. See the Agile Platform 5.0 - Systems Requirements document to know which versions of ORACLE and SQL Server are supported by the connectors (look in the section Add-on Requirements).

To integrate with other types of databases, you have two options:
  1. The one given by Eric in his post - create a Linked Server in the OutSystems database to the legacy database. Using Advanced Queries you can execute SQL statements that execute your linked server;
  2. Create an extension with actions that connect directly to your legacy database and retrieve the necessary information for the migration.

Best Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems

First question first... do these suggestions result in a set of entities that are managed by the platform? I didn't think integration studio's imported entities did that.

I'm looking for a way to "move" databases created in a traditional manner into the platform to be treated from there on out as managed entities where TrueChange works with them and all changes to the entities are made in Service Studio.

Second, linked servers introduce a non-trivial amount of overhead -- I wouldn't want to use a solution with linked servers unless there was no other alternative.
Hi Jeffrey,

By design the OutSystems platform follows a non-intrusion pardigm relatively to external databases - this means that you will not have the platform managing your external database structure.

To have the Outsystems eSpaces managing the data model of legacy data, you will have to migrate your "old-school"  database tables to OutSystems tables.
Fortunately, Tiago Simões posted a solution on how to create an OutSystems data model that is similar to one that you have in the "old-school" database - see the forum post Create entities based on existing database. You would then have to implement a mechanism that copies the data from the "legacy tables" to their mirror OutSystems tables.

Best Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems

Daniel,

This is what I was looking for. 

Not an elegant solution, but it will work.

I knew someone had to have posted this question before.

Thanks!

-- jas