Send excel file to another screen

I am using the recordlisttoexcel widget to get a list of addresses.  I want to be able to send that file to an admin screen but continue with the next step of going to another screen.  If I put a download widget in the server action after the recordlisttoexcel widget, how do I continue my server action by continuing to another screen while at the same time allowing the file to be downloaded on an admin screen?  Any help would be appreciated.

It may seem a little heavy, and it even goes against good practice, but if it is a small file, why not send it through an input variable. Or better yet, why not bootstrap excel to a table, and on the other screen you will get the data from the table ?!

How to update a Bootstrap Action to fetch an entity identifier from Excel

Cheers,

Miguel

Miguel Verdasca wrote:

It may seem a little heavy, and it even goes against good practice, but if it is a small file, why not send it through an input variable. Or better yet, why not bootstrap excel to a table, and on the other screen you will get the data from the table ?!

How to update a Bootstrap Action to fetch an entity identifier from Excel

Cheers,

Miguel

Thank you Miguel, the file will be pretty big.  It could be thousands of addresses.  Would the bootstrap action allow someone to take that excel file download it and do whats needed, there are other functions that the admin would need to perform on the excel file that cannot be done in outsystems.

But I didn't understand, is the bootstrap the solution to your problem?

I still couldn't understand the Business Logic, but in my opinion I did what I told you:

1 - loaded the file;

2 - With your bootstrap, fill a table;

3 - You go to the screen you need to go to, manipulate the data as you need it, and keep it in the table;

4 - And then download excel again.

Must the file be made in screen 1? You can make an action on the second screen to download the file.

If the file is big you can do a tricky one:

Screen 1 starts a timer to generate Excel and save binary in DB.

Screen 2 checks regularly for completion and downloads the file when it is ready.

It can take a while.

Nuno Reis wrote:

Must the file be made in screen 1? You can make an action on the second screen to download the file.

Screen 2 checks regularly for completion and downloads the file when it is ready.

It can take a while.

Thanks Nuno - The file has to be made in screen 1 because thats where the address data is.  We need to be able to access it right away once an email is sent that the file is available on the admin screen.  Screen1 will have a destination of screen2 which wont care about the file,  its only for backoffice and the adminscreen.

Peter Goyal wrote:

Nuno Reis wrote:

It can take a while.

Thanks Nuno - The file has to be made in screen 1 because thats where the address data is.  We need to be able to access it right away once an email is sent that the file is available on the admin screen.  Screen1 will have a destination of screen2 which wont care about the file,  its only for backoffice and the adminscreen.

Peter in this context I would do this way:

Process the excel on the Screen 1 with the data you need(address as you suggested) wake up the time to do further logic and when finish send an email to the Admin or for who need to receive this email(possible even send the link with the identifier to access the proper place from the email)

You can also put a Flag to tell you if the file is processed and use JS to refresh the button or link to the screen 2 to allow access just when the file is ready( as you said you don't need to wait for the file to be processed so ignore this step)

Hope I could help you

Best Regards

Carlos Lessa

Peter Goyal wrote:

I am using the recordlisttoexcel widget to get a list of addresses.  I want to be able to send that file to an admin screen but continue with the next step of going to another screen.  If I put a download widget in the server action after the recordlisttoexcel widget, how do I continue my server action by continuing to another screen while at the same time allowing the file to be downloaded on an admin screen?  Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, I think you can try with Widget_Click to call other action to download that file.