Platform Server releases are now cloud-first

Hi, dear OutSystems community!

I hope you are all well and safe.

We want to let you know that, from now on, Platform Server release will be made available first in the cloud and only after will be available to download.

Why? We are modernizing our processes, as we become even more cloud-centric. Optimizing our validation and patching processes is an important step. Also, the validations required to ensure the readiness for on-premises are more than those for the cloud. So we want to accelerate our releases in the cloud, while the on-premise validations are running.

We started this approach with the Platform Server's version 11.8.0. It was released first in the OutSystems cloud, and three weeks later, it was made available to download for on-premises configurations. We already changed our release page to accommodate this new approach.

So, consider this change the next time you see a product update about a new capability released in a new Platform Server's version. If you have your environments hosted in the OutSystems cloud, you can require the upgrade as soon as we announce it. If you are self-managing your OutSystems infrastructure, take a look at the planned date that will appear on the release page - that's when it'll become available to download.

Thank you, and stay safe!

Thank you for sharing this information

Good to know, thanks for sharing

Thanks Tiago for the update.

First I felt this was a strange decision in terms of support.

On-premises are completely standalone and each company would upgrade in a different moment, making the support easier and more distributed.

Then I realized it is exactly the opposite. On the cloud you can schedule all the upgrades and have full access so, in case of an anomaly, you react faster.

TLDR: You know what you are doing so we trust you :) 

Hi Tiago,

Will the announcement of new versions also be included in the Daily/Weekly Digest emails? I totally missed the release of 1.8.0 since I relied on the Downloads page for this, something I check every week. Where could I have read this announcement?

Greetings,

Vincent

Hi guys,

I agree with Nuno.

Anyway, I appreciate your sharing!

Cheers

Vincent Koning wrote:

Hi Tiago,

Will the announcement of new versions also be included in the Daily/Weekly Digest emails? I totally missed the release of 1.8.0 since I relied on the Downloads page for this, something I check every week. Where could I have read this announcement?

Greetings,

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

I think we miss some kind of notification in case of a platform release too. I did the same thing, checking the Downloads page, until I found this release page Tiago is talking about. 

But, as you say, it could indeed help if we would receive a notification by email.

Regards,

Nordin

@Tiago: you need to fix the release page link in your post as it's broken

Nordin Ahdi wrote:

Vincent Koning wrote:

Hi Tiago,

Greetings,

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

I think we miss some kind of notification in case of a platform release too. I did the same thing, checking the Downloads page, until I found this release page Tiago is talking about. 

But, as you say, it could indeed help if we would receive a notification by email.

Regards,

Nordin

@Tiago: you need to fix the release page link in your post as it's broken

Thanks for letting me know about the link issue.

The notification of new capabilities is done through our What's new page and those product updates are done align with the releases. However, it's true that there is no notification being triggered at the moment.

Thank you all also for the suggestions about how can we notify our customers better and letting them know that there is some new piece of software available.

Vincent Koning wrote:

Hi Tiago,

Greetings,

Vincent

Currently, they aren't shown in this Daily/Weekly Digest emails. Probably another good way to broadcast about new releases with the community members. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Thanks for sharing Thiago!

I was doing the same thing, visiting the downloads page often.

Good to know!

I was surprised not to find the version PaaS 11.8.0 for download these days. Now it makes sense.

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for sharing

Regards

Thanks for sharing