Views
Comments
ERP Data Access Dilemma.......
Question

I have outlined the issue in a word doc.   Please ask for whatever information you may need to assist.  Thank you all for the continued support.

FrankCLT

DataAccessDilemma.docx

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi FrankCLT,

There are different ways you can setup your application architecture.

This documentation describes different integration patterns for core services abstraction. 

While taking a look at the examples who actually are integrations patterns with ERP’s, you should consider your extension with the 4 external tables as the ERP block in the pictures.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nordin

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi FrankCLT,

In my mind, I had already replied to you, but it seems I did not. Sorry about that! :)

In the learn section, there is a course on how to Integrate with External Databases. It also contains a few demos with a step-by-step on how to list and display data from external tables.

Basically, you could do a simple Direct Integration. This is where you would reference your Extension containing the tables from the ERP directly in your End-User module. You could then scaffold the List en Detail screen the same way you would using Native Entities you have created inside Service Studio. This is shown for example at the end of the Integrate with SQL Server Database demo.

If you would want to have a Core module between you End-User module and ERP extension with the goal to create a full-blown Core Service, you would have to consider caching the data from the ERP tables using one of caching patterns mentioned in this documentation. In that case, you would need to create "local" Entities inside the Core module and fill them with data from the ERP tables using batch synchronization processes. The documentation I shared with you earlier shows several core design patterns you could consider. In the learn section, there is a Training video on these Core Module Patterns you can review.

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

Nordin