How can we run PROD checks behind closed doors

Hi Team,

We want to test the application on production before opening it to public use. we will verify the new changes and if everything perfect will open it for public use.

Thanks.

Use a site property that will prevent users from continuing the applicaition.

You could place this check in you default layout and if the site property doesn't have the correct value forward the enduser to a placeholder page. 

Vincent Koning wrote:

Use a site property that will prevent users from continuing the applicaition.

You could place this check in you default layout and if the site property doesn't have the correct value forward the enduser to a placeholder page. 

Hi, thanks for the response.

but I am looking for some kind of configuration available in OS.

Site property will be the last option for me that I have already in my mind.

As far as I know there is no option in OutSystems itself that will only allow access to the application for a certain set of users. You could manipulate the groups attached to the used roles of course but I don't think this is a good approach for future updates requiring a similar check. 

Hi JitendraYadav,

There is no such feature available in OutSystems.

Either you find a way to block all users from using the application. Or you do what Vincent wrote.

But to be honest, you should not have the need to TEST in PRODUCTION. Production environment is for running production not testing.

What you could consider is a Pre-production environment (in your infrastructure, of course this comes at a price, but it will allow you to easily do:

• Do load testing with production like sized database
  • Test the deployment to production.

Whether it is possible to add an additional environment to your infrastructure depends on your OutSystems License.

Regards,

Daniel

Another solution could be to add a pre-production environment between the test and the production environment. Otherwise you could work with site parameters to restrict certain parts of your application.

We do have a pre-prod server but I am looking especially for Prod the reason is that our application is open to all and we want to do certain checks for every deployment.

Yes, I know Prod is not for testing but at least we want certain checks before open to all.

Than I would try to automate those checks and run them in an on publish timer, as that is run prior for the application becomes available again (i think).

The timer will run after the deployment is finished. This means that end-users will also have access to his application. The timegap will be small of course but if you want to manually react to the outcome of the tests than you will encounter issues.

I was under the impression that the application only become available for users after the on publish time has run.

I encountered several times that my data hasn't been loaded yet via a onPublish timer but I could access the application. Not really a problem since I try to make sure that I have safety checks in my application to prevent data loading issues. 

Vincent Koning wrote:

I encountered several times that my data hasn't been loaded yet via a onPublish timer but I could access the application. Not really a problem since I try to make sure that I have safety checks in my application to prevent data loading issues. 

Can you please more details around the timer solution...Thanks!