User get unassigned in Processes if a user release an activity without completing

In the processes I came across a situation while doing course Master Class on Modeling Business Processes (BPT)

It seems when a user releases an activity without completing, outsystems clears the user field without checking if the activity is user specific or not.

Consider below scenario for replicate the issue and for more details.

1. Chris (Dummy user in course) assigned a Session to any reviewer (Say Rui)

2. Session is visible in TaskBox to only Rui and no other Reviewer

3. Rui Opens the Session, but Releases the Session without reviewing

4. Now the Session will start showing for all Reviewers

Upon checking in Service manager (Monitoring --> Processes), I realized that 

1. User field is set to Rui and Status is Ready

2. When Rui opens the Activity, User Field is set to Rui and Status is Open

3. When Rui releases without completing, User Field goes Blank and Status is Ready

This resetting of User field to blank causes Activity to appear for all users in the Reviewer Role.

No answer by any one?

HI Upendra,

Exactly this is how release works. If you try to release the activity from service center it will show you below message which shows exactly same behaviour as you are experiencing.

If you want to see if your onclose action is working properly or not then you have to click Done button (instead of release) in task box. It will trigger onclose (of the human activity) which will show exception because review is not submitted yet.

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

HI Upendra,

Exactly this is how release works. If you try to release the activity from service center it will show you below message which shows exactly same behaviour as you are experiencing.

If you want to see if your onclose action is working properly or not then you have to click Done button (instead of release) in task box. It will trigger onclose (of the human activity) which will show exception because review is not submitted yet.

Understood.

Let me try to ask a follow up question.

Scenario

1. Users X, Y and Z are assigned Role R

2. Multiple activities A,B and C are assigned to User X only in Role R

3. User X see Activities A,B and C in his TaskBox

4. User Opens activity B and start working on it

5. User wants to stop working on B (Without completion) and jump to Activity C

6. User completes Activity C and then comeback to activity B and completes it

Between Step 4 and 6, how User X can jump from Activity B to C without making Activity B visible to All Users with that Role

Hi Upendra,

For that you can go back to the task list to the in task box by clicking on the back icon on top right (just before cross icon).

It will show you all the three activities A, B & C again. Click on any activity you want to work now and you are on your way.

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Upendra,

For that you can go back to the task list to the in task box by clicking on the back icon on top right (just before cross icon).

It will show you all the three activities A, B & C again. Click on any activity you want to work now and you are on your way.

Thanks for the answer Nikhil.

So, with that I now have 2 Activities in Open state at the same time. (Test 2 & 3)

and

and there is no way for an Activity to move back to Ready state from Open state (without making in public :) )

Also, I don't understand why course suggests to use Release button to move out of an activity, if User is not able to complete it and needs more time.

Yes, there will be two open activity but from two different instances of the same processes, which is fine. 

Regarding realse option, may be because this is an old course and that time its behavious could be little different (I am not sure). So in current context it is half correct, we can use release button to release activity and can continue it later but other users with same role can also open that activity.