How to read SMS messages with more then 154 characters - Mobile

Hi, I'm developing a mobile app that uses the SMS Cordova plugin and I'm having trouble reading SMS that has more than 154 characters. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

The SMS on the mobile phone has all the characters (266) since the message is split into parts of 153 characters so I think the SMS Cordova plugin is only reading the first part of the message. There any option that can change this?

Thank´s

Rui

Rui Almeida wrote:

Hi, I'm developing a mobile app that uses the SMS Cordova plugin and I'm having trouble reading SMS that has more than 154 characters. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

The SMS on the mobile phone has all the characters (266) since the message is split into parts of 153 characters so I think the SMS Cordova plugin is only reading the first part of the message. There any option that can change this?

Thank´s

Rui

Boas Rui, it's possible the component is cutting the text and the limit is 154, what you can do is clone the component to your git, check the code where is the limitation and increase to the size you need.

And then use this new one on your app.

Best regards

Carlos Lessa

Hi Rui,

A single SMS message can be at most 160 characters, so a 153-character cut-off is strange. Is it always 153 characters, or just a specific message? If the latter, it could be multi-byte characters being present.

SMSes larger than 160 characters are split into several messages, so perhaps you need to read more than a single message and concatenate messages grouping together.

That said, questions about specific Forge Components should best be asked in the components subforum, since the component authors will be notified in case of a question, so you usually get quicker and better response.

@Carlos: your response is not terribly helpful. For one, we'd like to have a good stock of quality Forge components rather than everyone needing to fabricate their own. Secondly, the OP is very likely running into some (for them) unexpected behaviour rather than component limitations or a bug, and even in case of the latter, contacting the Component's author is always the better solution than immediately cloning!