OutSystems Users Entity - Better to extend with Custom or create you own Custom Users

Hello, I am planning to create an External application that will be used by the public. I have a question about the OutSystems Users entity. Are there more benefits to building extension entity with the Users entity to capture custom attributes OR would it be best to build an entire new "Users" entity. For example, I would rather have attributes like First Name, Middle Name and Last Name verses on the field Name.

Of course I would need a number of other attributes as well. 

Any advantages or disadvantages to their approach?

Thanks

Hi, 

We can extend any entity by creating one to one relationship between entity. You can extend User entity by creating anther entity that have extra field that is required in user entity . 

Thanks

Rahul Kumar wrote:

Hi, 

We can extend any entity by creating one to one relationship between entity. You can extend User entity by creating anther entity that have extra field that is required in user entity . 

Thanks

Thanks for the response. In your experience, what route to most developers travel, extending Users or creation of their own complete custom one? Just curious. I head of a couple of people stating they found it better for complex projects just to create their own User but never asked why.

Hi Otis Brown,

i wanted to be genuine. I have not  max years of experience in broader level of database development . 

I told thing that i have learn in outsystem training and development that's why i did not go in advantages and disadvantages. 

This time i feel sorry . You should wait for others MVP or experienced person replied because they can give what should be best. I am waiting too so that i could learn from them .

Cheers.

Hi Otis,

I personally prefer Extended user entity over your own user management entity. Reason is that when you develop your own user entity, you can no longer use OutSystems inbuild security features like authentication and authorization along with doing all user management using inbuild user portal.

Hey Bro,

We are all in this together so I TOTALLY understand. I appreciate your assistance as well as your honesty. My suspicions are that they will probably recommend extending the User entity but wanted to get their thought as I heard "small" whispers that it sometimes better to make a totally new custom User entity instead. 

I will wait for more input and thanks again for your feedback!