Views
Comments
Solved
UIWebView References in Mobile App
Question

Hello,

Our app is getting rejected in AppStore with the reason "ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - New apps that use UIWebView are no longer accepted."

So i created a blank mobile app without any plugins. I followed the trouble shooting instructions @ https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_the_Mobile_Apps_Generation

grep -ri UIWebView . gives the below output

Binary file ./Payload/testAPK.app/testAPK matches

Does this indicate that an empty app is also using UIWebView  ?

My environment version as below

Platform Server : 11.0.614.0

MABS : 6.1

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution

Hello Siya,

I had this exact problem in the past with my application. It was getting rejected by App Store because of UIWebView references.

And I did precisely the same test as you did: created a new application with no plugins and I tried to submit it to the App Store. I had no problems during the submission process with this new app. So your problem is definitely related to one (or more) of your plugins.

Regarding this topic, please take a look into this post, in which I describe how you should proceed to overpass this issue. I also describe how you can verify if a plugin has UIWebView references or not.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Hello Rui,

Thank you for the swift response. Could you help understand why an empty app is also showing WebUIView when grepping.

Best Regards,

Hi Siya,
Thanks for bringing this issue.

I recently submitted one of my applications due to this issue.
Perhaps I was using FirebaseMobile Plugin, which now I have consumed the latest version of it where the plugin address the issue.

But if it is for the empty App as well then that's the trouble for me as well.

If you're sure for the same then it should be acknowledged to the OS team.

Thanks,

Assif

Hello Rui,

Sorry my bad - I named the project as testAPK. But indeed it's an ipa.

btw I opened 'nano testAPK' and I could see something like this when I search for UIWebView. 

Best Regards,

Hello Siya,

In your image, it seems to be a reference for "WKWebView" which is the substitute for "UIWebView".

Did you try to submit that blank application (without plugins) into App Store?

Just to make sure it passes without problems.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Hello Rui,

Sure. Will keep you posted on the outcome of the submission.

Best Regards,

Okay Siya, thanks.

I believe that it is going to be submitted without any problems. I did that same test, just to make sure the problem was one of my plugins and it was submitted successfully.

Let's see. Let me know after :)

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Hello Rui,

The good news is app is finally approved. The culprit was Facebook & Firebase . These plugins were updated almost two weeks back in forge and missed to update the same in our environment. 

Thanks @Rui & @Assif

Best Regards,

Hello Siya,

Those are great news! I'm glad that your app was finally approved.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas