Logging history

How far back can I look into the logging history from within Service Center in an OS production environment setting?

Default :  4 weeks

Hi Adam,

According to this documentation, the retention period of logs for OutSystems PaaS is 9 weeks. For On-Premises environments, you can configure it in the Log Cycle Period property inside the Log Tab of the Configuration Tool.

Regards,

Nordin

The retention period in OutSystems Paas might be set to 9 weeks. But in practice and to me for unknown reasons one can from within ServiceCenter only look back as far as two weeks in the logging.  

Hi Adam,

In that case, you could open a support case with OutSystems and request for a longer retention period of your logs.

Regards,

Nordin

Yes. But I am now more interested to hear from others who run into similar limitations with their logging-history.

Sure thing Adam.

Hello Adam,

Do you have access to your database server?

If so, it might be interesting to verify directly into OSLOG tables if you have any records from older weeks.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

No I don't have access.

Hi Adam,

I see there are already answers here, but the retention policy also differs based on the OutSystems License you have purchased. 

Nordin has rightly indicated towards the documentation which states "The retention period for logs configured in OutSystems PaaS is 9 weeks". This is the default retention period. However, there are also offering like OutSystems Sentry which has a 1-year retention policy for all type of logs.

Regards,

Swatantra

Hello again Adam,

So I was looking a bit into this and here's some conclusions:

• For each type of log there are 10 tables in the database server in the form OSLOG_<TYPE>_<NUMBER> . For example, oslog_error_4 is the 4th table in the error log cycle;
  • OutSystems Platform is capable of keeping logs for longer than they are displayed in Service Center:
  • By default the OutSystems Platform keeps logs for 4 weeks, and can keep them for as long as 9 weeks. You can configure this in Configuration Tool -> Tab Logs;
  • Logs rotate in a cyclic way. This means that if you have tables 0, 1, 2 and 3 beeing used, in the next week table 0 will be erased and table 4 will be used. In the week after, table 1 will be erased and table 5 will be used (and so on);
  • Service Center can only display as far as 2 weeks in the logs. This value is defined due to performance issues;
  • If you want to verify older logs, the best way to accomplish that is to access directly into the database server and execute some queries over the OSLOG tables. This way will allow you to view the logs that are still in the physic database tables.

Hope that this helps you.

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas