How to get started creating Charts in Report Studio?

How to get started creating Charts in Report Studio?

Creating a Chart can be very very easy, but, if you have a craving for some pretty super-hero-chart stuff you can get it too.

I'll start by explaining the basics that really empower you to get started and become a professional Chart designer :-)

Feel free to download the attached chart file and the eSpace that I'll use on this sample.

Our sample scenario is based on a Proposals entity that has Epopeia's proposals over a given period of time. Each proposal
can be of one of two types: Service proposal (like consulting services, nearshore outsourcing services, etc) and Product
proposal (Agile Reporting Services, Azap, Telexpense, Software Audit, etc). Given our Proposals entity, the Management team
now wants to know how many proposals are made on any given date. How do proposals evolve in time? How do they evolve
by type? Let's turn these questions into business answers, with simple Charts.

Entity diagram looks like this:

Open your Report Studio (and always say yes when asked to upgrade): 1. Create a New Chart Via Wizard (click on Epopeia Logo -> New -> ...)

2. Connect to your Report Center (if you haven't already) with your Service Center credentials

3. On Query Designer, add Proposals and Proposal Type entities

Also, order by ProposalDate attribute.

4. Click Finish - you've defined your Query - the Chart Wizard appears!

Select the chart type you want - we'll go with Bar chart!

5. Click Next, select some cool colors and style for a professional looking
business Chart - Management will be impressed :-)

6. Click Next and define how your Chart will present your data

We'll start by defining witch Attribute from the Entities selected on the Query we have previously designed will be representative
of the Series. For instance, if this was to be a Line Chart, each line would be a Series. In our case, each Bar Color will be a Series,
and it makes sense that the ProposalType.Name should be the series attribute.

7. Select the Attribute that defines the sorting:

8. Define your Chart Argument (representative of the X Axis of your Series).

In this case we'll select ProposalDate.

9. Define your Series Value Attribute (representative of the Y Axis of your Series)

We select a Count Summary Function, so we can now how many Proposals were made on each date.

10. Click Finish and Publish your Chart

Congratulations, you've just created a professional looking Chart and Management is happy!

Have any questions or need any help, ask us at

Thank You!
Hi Afonso, thanks for the information.

How are charts then made available and used in OutSystems applications?

Daniel Lourenço
Hello Daniel!

That's even simpler:

1. In Service Studio / your eSpace, add references to Report Widgets and select the Chart Viewer widget.

2. Drag & Drop the Chart Viewer widget to desired screen - could be a dashboard, etc.

3. Set the ChartName -> must match the name you gave it in Report Studio.

4. Set the desired size properties

5. Publish et Voilá!

An also very cool thing is that from now on, every time you publish a new version of your Chart it will automatically
be propagated in your applications with out the need of republish them - try to do that with other charting tools! :-)

Afonso Metello
Hello Afonso,

Great stuff! Unfortunately, I'm trying to connect Report Studio to my Agile Platform 5.1 and I'm always getting the same error. Any idea what might be happening? It's a standard installation of Agile Platform 5.1 Community Edition, with the "admin/admin" credentials for Service Center...

Thanks and Best Regards.

Hello Fabio,

Thank you for your interest and thanks for the praise =)

Dued to some small changes on the platform api from version 5.0 to 5.1, currently available version of ARS does not install on 5.1 - yet!
We already have a 5.1 setup package ready that is going through some final testing and should come out this week.

I'll make sure I let you know as soon as that happens.

Best Regards,
Afonso Metello
Hello Fabio,

I'm pleased to announce we've just released a 5.1 installable version of Agile Reporting Services.

Feel free to download it at

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
Afonso Metello
Managing Partner, R&D

No worries. Thank you very much for your quick reply!.

Looking forward to making some beautiful graphs.

Kind Regards,
Hello I am trying to install ARS to OSAP CE 5.1 on Windows XP with connection to Oracle DB, it dies when installing AgileReportingServiceCharty.xif. Before everything is ok, things get installed.
SU:8229 out of 75000.
It says "Publish Service Studio Error"
Any help? Thanks, Jan
Id: 505d57a7-5d92-47f9-a5e2-f9845b82733e
Time of Log: 2010-12-30 11:32:33
eSpace Name: ARSBootStrap
Tenant Name: ARSBootStrap
User Id:0
Session Id: No session
Server: BBT184
Module Name: Web Reference
Message: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
Stack: at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at ssARSBootStrap.WRefReportCenterWS.WRefReportCenterWS.Config(Boolean[] optionalValuesBitMask)
eSpaceVer: 1 (Id=82, PubId=82, CompiledWith=
RequestUrl: http://localhost/ARSBootStrap/ARSBoot...
AppDomain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/ARSBootStrap-7-129381786992187500
FilePath: E:\...\PS\running\ARSBootStrap.930040746\
Locale: en-US
DateFormat: yyyy-MM-dd
PID: 2988 ('aspnet_wp', Started='30. 12. 2010 9:46:00', Priv=213Mb, Virt=679Mb)
TID: 1
.NET: 2.0.50727.3082
Hello Jan,

Like we discussed on skype, (just not to leave this unanswered here) we currently do not support Oracle in the community edition.

In such interest, please contact us directly.

Best regards,
Afonso Metello
Where can I found chartViewer  widget to make download?
I don´t found it anywhere...
Could you help me, please!