[XML Records] XmlToRecordList with i:nil="true" attribute makes the library return error
Question
Forge component by Afonso Carvalho

Hi Afonso, really useful library!

Has anybody tried with i:nil="true" attributes? Down is one of my xml structures, containing such attributes. 

I have tried XmlToRecordList with manually removing the i:nil="true" attribute and it worked well, but it returns an Error, when I try with them. Maybe it is not implemented in the library yet?

Cheers!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<ArrayOfAssemblyUsage xmlns="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/o2Smart.DocumentAssembly.Web.WebObjects" xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<AssemblyUsage>

<AssembledFiles>

<AssembledFile>

<DateCreated>2018-07-09T07:07:52.1332163Z</DateCreated>

<DownloadLink>http://localhost:56052/Integration/Download.aspx?fileIdentifier=a04a0447-bda2-4ea7-93bb-438a10ed333f</DownloadLink>

<FilePath>Documents\FaxCoverExample.3.docx</FilePath>

<FileSize>13 KB</FileSize>

<FileType>MS Word 2007</FileType>

<Identifier>a04a0447-bda2-4ea7-93bb-438a10ed333f</Identifier>

<ServerFile>

<DateUploaded>2018-07-09T07:07:52.1332163Z</DateUploaded>

<Description i:nil="true" />

<FileSize>13 KB</FileSize>

<FileType>MS Word 2007</FileType>

<Identifier>TY8age3/tOHSXIS2MqB22SA8JGYTczrCck1K9RKaKnNxZ+csCpbmtA==</Identifier>

<Name>FaxCoverExample.3.docx</Name>

<TemplateIdentifier i:nil="true" />

<URL>http://localhost:56052/Protected/Download.aspx?fileIdentifier=TY8age3%2ftOHSXIS2MqB22SA8JGYTczrCck1K9RKaKnNxZ%2bcsCpbmtA%3d%3d</URL>

</ServerFile>

</AssembledFile>

</AssembledFiles>

<DataDownloadLink>http://localhost:56052/Integration/Download.aspx?usageIdentifier=0b6db589-1b50-47c0-891d-882bc734b23c</DataDownloadLink>

<DataFileDateCreated>2018-07-09T07:07:52.6265813Z</DataFileDateCreated>

<DataFilePath>Datasets\FaxCoverExample.3.xddata.xml</DataFilePath>

<DataFileSize>518 bytes</DataFileSize>

<DataFileType i:nil="true" />

<ID>7</ID>

<Identifier>0b6db589-1b50-47c0-891d-882bc734b23c</Identifier>

<ReturnURL i:nil="true" />

<ServerFile>

<DateUploaded>2018-07-09T07:07:52.6265813Z</DateUploaded>

<FileSize>518 bytes</FileSize>

<FileType>XML File</FileType>

<Identifier>xapI3smfLMHhqfs84jGM/mg6XyBO48UBck9dOtteLKYSRnWDxf/YSA==</Identifier>

<Name>FaxCoverExample.3.xddata.xml</Name>

<TemplateIdentifier i:nil="true" />

<URL>http://localhost:56052/Protected/Download.aspx?fileIdentifier=xapI3smfLMHhqfs84jGM%2fmg6XyBO48UBck9dOtteLKYSRnWDxf%2fYSA%3d%3d</URL>

</ServerFile>

<TemplateIdentifier>0ec756a0-9c65-4307-9a57-8634c5505155</TemplateIdentifier>

<TemplatePath>FaxCoverExample.xdtpx</TemplatePath>

</AssemblyUsage>

</ArrayOfAssemblyUsage>

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Here's an example for your string XML. You can see it catching both the string value and the xmlns attribute in debug - let me know if this makes it clearer. I will try and make a test case for the i:nil attribute.

XMLAttr.oml

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Here's an example for your string XML. You can see it catching both the string value and the xmlns attribute in debug - let me know if this makes it clearer. I will try and make a test case for the i:nil attribute.

Hey Afonso,

thanks a lot! It works that way. I didn't know I have to do it so with this attribute. I couldn't find a good documentation of the cases for XmlToRecordList's usage, unlike the better documented RecordListToXml.

And btw I found what the problem with the i:nil="true" issue seems to be. This is the type of error, that appears:

I tracked the problem to lie in the :symbol  as the code proceeds normally, when removed from the name. 

I wasn't able to localize the exact place in the extension code, where this happens, but probably it could be solved by simple escaping on the proper place. What do you think?

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Borislav,

Thank you - this was an effort by a big team, I'm just one of the latest contributors. 

I'm not sure why a specific attribute would cause an error. I don't believe specific attributes receive special treatment, so in theory they should all be the same. I'm going to look into this, but it might take me some time. There's a couple of things you could help me with in the meantime:

- Can you confirm that you're using the latest version of the extension? The first bug I fixed a couple of years back was related to XML attributes not being processed correctly, though they didn't return errors.

- What is the exact error you're receiving? Could you show us a stack trace from Service Center?

- Could you share a module with an example of your XmlToRecordList usage? It doesn't have to be your entire application, I understand you might have proprietary code in it - just a module with the Structures you use for your XML already created would speed up the process tremendously.

Hello Afonso,

yes, I do use the latest version.

Btw I am also struggling to create a working XmlToRecordList serialization for this structure, as well:

<string xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/10/Serialization/">3c6211f4-d907-489b-aba4-ee335c31f694</string>

I am using this structure: 

I get the following error: 

"Sequence contains no matching element"

As for the previous problem, I currently don't have an example, since I deleted it back then and made a manual traversal instead. I can notify you, if I built one again. But as for debugging, maybe you can just try manually plugging  i:nil="true" for some of your existing attributes, as in the example above:

and I am sure you will get the error, which I got earlier.

P.S. I haven't used any configurations whatsoever, but I saw "ExcludeIfNull" in "DefaultXmlConfig". However, I saw also, that the default value is "True", so I don't expect it to make any difference.

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

XMLAttr.oml

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Hey Afonso,

thanks a lot! It works that way. I didn't know I have to do it so with this attribute. I couldn't find a good documentation of the cases for XmlToRecordList's usage, unlike the better documented RecordListToXml.

And btw I found what the problem with the i:nil="true" issue seems to be. This is the type of error, that appears:

I tracked the problem to lie in the :symbol  as the code proceeds normally, when removed from the name. 

I wasn't able to localize the exact place in the extension code, where this happens, but probably it could be solved by simple escaping on the proper place. What do you think?

mvp_badge
MVP

I believe the issue is that namespaces need to be identified. It's not something I've used very often, but I know there's an attribute in the XmlConfig structure that lets you identify them - I'll try to create an example.

Thank you for the feedback on the XmlToRecordList documentation. I will give it a read and improve on it.

mvp_badge
MVP

Webscreen2 has an example of configuration for attributes. There might be a better way to recognize namespaces, but you can definitely do it with the AttributesConfig input.

XMLAttr.oml

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.