[Network FileSystem] Discussion

[Network FileSystem] Discussion

Forge Component
(4)
Published on 2009-03-17 by Matthias Preuter
4 votes
Published on 2009-03-17 by Matthias Preuter
Hello,

For images in our website we use the fileSystem ( action: file exist and file size)  to check if the image exist and has binaryData so we now for shure the image exist.

For something else we now needed to get some files from a network folder, searched for an option and found this extension. Download and published it where it's being published over the existing fileSystem. No problems because the domain, user/password are optional.

Only after the publish the file_exist or the file_size always give an error: 'Operation failed'. So no image is loaded.

If I fill in the domain, user and password, I don't get the error and everything works like a charm, but that isn't what I expect knowing these attributes aren't mandatory.

Could you say why I need to fill there attributes in with the NetworkFileSystem and not with the FileSystem?

Kind Regards,
Evert
Hi,

Just as a reply on the last post, I found out the problem so it is working now.

The network file was in another domain then was told, setting it right it works like a charm.

Now need to convert the FileSystem Extension with the Network FileSystem Extension :).

Kind Regards,
Evert
Hi Evert,

I am trying to use you extension passing the 3 optional inputs.

I am passing something like:
Domain: ABC
Username: AAA
Password: PPP

Is this right?
Or the sintax expected is different?

Thanks.

Best Reggards,
Nuno Mendes

Hello Nuno,

The way you do it should be the correct way.

I would say let it know if it works or not.

Kind regards,
Evert
Again a question about the Network FileSystem.

We have an user created in the domain for writing files on the filesystem, let's say this ise is called: 'Evert'. When I use this extention to write a file to the filesystem and use 'Evert' as the username, the user 'Evert' isn't the owner of the file. In my case the 'network service' is the owner of the file. I was wondering why this is the case? I know network service is used as the user for the application pool where the application is in, but I specify the user to be 'Evert' so why isn't he made the owner of this file?

This would also suggest that every person is set as a 'network service' user by the IIS and have privileges to write to the filesystem? Something you don't want to do since the user 'network service' appearently also has right to write.

Hope someone can make this clear for me?

Kind regards,
Evert
Hi Evert,

Just want to add to your posting that it would be a very good idea for Outsystems to
adopt extensions like these since there is an increasing need for support on it once
used by Developers.

I.e. currently the XMLRecords Extension also isn't adopted in the platform which actually makes it a risk using it without the formal support.

Just my 2 cents..

Cheers,

Eric
Eric,

Think that would be a good suggestion. XML is a component we also have used, for that it indeed would also be handy to have some example.

I would sya: let's make a WoC of it.

Kind regards,
Evert
Hello,

Would anybody know if the action 'Directory_ListDirFiles' has an limitation on number of files?

I always get 164.500 filenames back and not more.

Kind regards,
Evert
To give answer to my own question: No.

Probably there is a problem with rigths on the filesystem so there are some files missing by the getdirfiles action.

So thank me.

Kind regards,
Evert
Hello,

Tested a lot with the 'Directory_ListDirFiles' action, but it doesn't work like it shoud be. I've tested with the length attribute but I get less number of files back then is present in the folder that need to be 'read'.

Is does get files from subdirectories so don't know which files it doesn't read. Also has nothing to do with rights since granted full right for everyone to be shure the problem wasn't caused by this.

Hope someone knows the answer.

Kind regards,
Evert

Just as a heads up, passing an empty file name to Write_Binary (probably on others too) will "work" but it gives an "error code" of 0x0 which translates to "success", it should give a more meaningful error.

J.Ja
Hi Evert,

How about this extension for Java also? It would be nice ... :)
Does anyone knows if there is any ?

Thanks

MP
Hello Mário,

Java version I don't have, but if I'm correct the java files where in the extension and you only need to set the extension on java mode also.

Let me know if that works, I know a colleague of mine has a Java version of this extension.

Kind regards,
Evert
Hello Evert,

Unfortunately the extension only has the source for NET :(

Thanks

MP
Hello Mário,

I'm sorry was confused with the normal fileSystem component: HERE.

The 'normal component' must have the java file included, maybe you can extend that one with the network filesystem options?

Kind regards,
Evert
Hello everyone.

I fix a logic error that exists in this component. The same error occurred in this topic and was corrected by Rafael Portela:

http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/7132/using-directory-listdirfiles-from-file-system/utm_source=community&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=forum-reply?utm_source=community&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=forum-reply

How can I share this corrected version? I need to ask permission to to Matthias Preuter, creator of the component, or other person?

Thanks

Best Regards
Hello Emerson,

http://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-discussions/99/Network+FileSystem

This shows which persons are the team behind this component. Think you need to contact one of them.

Kind regards,
Evert