Quickly refresh REST service

Hi,

SOAP services can be refreshed however I miss the option to refresh a REST service. For example we have consumed a REST service which is changing every two months. I made some adjustments in the REST calls (with onbeforerequestadvanced and onafterrequest actions). Because there is no way to refresh the REST service my current way of work is that I copy all of the actions to a dummy application and then delete the current REST calls and consume the service again to get all the adjustments in the REST service. This is very time consuming. 

Is there a more easy way to achieve refreshing of a REST service?

Tnx!

Kind regards,

Theo Clement

Hi Theo,

I am not aware of a resfresh REST service function in OutSystems. You could vote on this idea:
https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/9342/refresh-rest-service-swagger-definition-of-previous-consumed-version

But I am curious why you are "forced" every 2 months to update your REST Service consumer logic.

1. Does the REST service you consume come from a third party or you developed it yourself?
  2. Do you need the 2 monthly changed functionality from this REST service?
  3. Normally a REST service would implement versioning, thereby not forcing all consumers to immediately adapt to the latest implementation.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniël,

To answer your questions.

1. It's a third party service which is still in developing (it's allready in production but every two months there will be additions to the service)

2. The new functionality is very usefull for our business

3. That's true but as i mentioned in 2 our business needs the new functionality and therefore also the new version

Kind regards,

Theo

Hi Theo,

I feel the pain, unfortunately there is no refresh of your REST API service available.

Maybe another approach to workaround the lack of a refresh function could be to always consume as a new service in the same module as in which you already consumed the previous version.

Then:

1. copy over new methods from the new to the old version
  2. remove methods from the old version no longer available in the new version
  3. replace input/output parameters of changed methods, and adjust implementation to cope with parameter changes.

Regards,

Daniel

Solution

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Theo,

I feel the pain, unfortunately there is no refresh of your REST API service available.

Maybe another approach to workaround the lack of a refresh function could be to always consume as a new service in the same module as in which you already consumed the previous version.

Then:

1. copy over new methods from the new to the old version
  2. remove methods from the old version no longer available in the new version
  3. replace input/output parameters of changed methods, and adjust implementation to cope with parameter changes.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniël,

Thanks. That is my current workaround :). Now I know that there is no faster solution. 

Regards,

Theo

Solution