Set action to fire for all requests

Set action to fire for all requests

Is is possible to set an action to fire on all requests for a webflow without updating every page?

We will be running ColdFusion and AP together for a while and are attempting to keep both applications logged in while the other is being used.

In order to do that I was going to update a common table with both applications.  ColdFusion has an event called OnRequestStart which fires for every page in the application.  Is there a way to do that in Agile Platform?

Hi Tom,

The easiest way to do what you are saying is to add the logic that you want to execute in every web screen request to the preparation of the Header or Footer web blocks. As these web blocks are present in every web screen, their preparation will always be executed.

I do not exactly understand what you want to do - you say you want to update a table in order to maintain the current session active in both platforms. Can you  please explain a bit better exactly how the sessions will remain active and the logic that you want to put in the "OnRequestStart" events?

Kind Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems
Daniel,

Thanks for the response.

Our current code base is written in ColdFusion. 

Rather than a wholesale move to Agile Platform we plan on implementing new tools in Agile Platform and keeping the ColdFusion code around for a while (we simply will not have enough time to do a wholesale translation).  We want to run both systems independantly so that  users can log in to either one and credentials will follow to the other.  The only communications between the two will be information about which user is logged in and if they are timed out, etc.

The plan to implement that system is to have one common table in our database that both systems can read and update to say this user is logged in on this system at this time, etc.

ColdFusion has application level events one of which is onRequestStart.  Before every ColdFusion page that is part of the application executes the onRequestStart event fires allowing us to execute the implementation plan above without modifying any particular part of our pages.

I was hoping that AP would have a similar functionality.  Since we truly want it to execute on every page it would make the most sense to have it at that level rather than relying on the "Procedure" of putting the code on every page.

Thanks,
Tom
Hi Tom,

I understand that you want to update a common table to have the two systems communicating about the user session activity.

I think the solution I gave you does exactly what you want - you add that logic the preparation action of the Header web block. As every web screen includes this web block (except for very rare situations) you will have the logic executed on every screen without having to change it. Am I seeing it wrong?

Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems
Daniel,

You are seeing it correct.  I do think your solution will be sufficient. However, I do think it would be useful to have that option as it is truly something that is more "event-ish" than a piece of the header or footer.

Tom