Can Outsystems be used to develop a dynamic map web application

Hello,

I am assessing the feasibility of utilizing outsystems in the development of a check-in dynamic map system. 

In outsystems is it possible to create a system that links a binary attribute from a data base to an image in a webpage, such that if the attribute is 1, the webpage displays one image and is the attribute is 2 then it switches it to a different image in real time. It would be required for this to be done on a large scale. Eg up to 1000 of these dynamic images (Red or green squares) being updated on the webpage based on the fluctuating attributes in the database. 

The end goal is to have 1000 squares on a webpage that are displayed as red or green depending on the binary attributes in the database. Each unique attribute is changed between one and zero when a QR scanner in the webpage scans the unique attributes associated QR code. 

Eg Square 567 is red, QR code scanner scans Square 567's QR code, database attribute for square 567 is changed from 0 to 1, Square 567 is shown as green. 

If so, is their any resources available that provides instructions in how to do this. Could you please point me in their direction if so.

Thanks for your time, If any further clarity is required, please message.

Kind regards

Eoin

Hi Eoin,

This sounds feasible. I assume what you're looking to build is a way to display something like seat/room occupancy.

You could have an Entity holding a list of your seats/rooms, and a boolean signifying occupancy, and a Screen to display these, with a color depending on the boolean value. There could be some complexity if you must have truly dynamic images instead of a simple color system - fetching and displaying thousands of images at once is not recommended performance-wise. 

Generating and scanning QR codes is also doable with available Forge components. I believe the most complex part would be UI-wise, namely how to display so much information simultaneously in a readable manner.

I don't think there's anything out-of-the-box that would offer you this set of functionalities, so my recommendation would be to start step-by-step. Familiarise yourself with the platform if you haven't already, and then build each application layer in order.