HL7 Intergration

HL7 Intergration

I'm looking to connect outside device via HL7 code is this possible?
Hi Daniel,

I've worked with HL7 in the past (around 2006/07) but never using OutSystems. HL7 is basically set on top of a set of messages and its transport to devices (or other HL7 capable systems). The workflow of messages is usually also defined as part of the HL7 standards.
For you to have an HL7 communication you basically have to comply with these workflows and build these messages (there are now even some XML based messages which usually makes it easier).
I don't know of any standard component built in OutSystems to address HL7 messages and/or workflows but I think the platform can easily help you with some of this implementation:
  • Use BPT to implement the workflows for construction of messages and sending/receiving them.
  • Use the model driven definition of entities/structure to help you dealing with the tiresome task of filling the messages (they are usually big, depending of the HL7 domain you'll be using (and what subset of messages)
  • Use Integration Studio to build an extension that is able to serialize/deserialize messages in the HL7 format to/from the platform structures. If you are going to use the XML messages take a look at the XMLRecords component which is probably able to help you on that.
Hope this helps... and please let the community know if you actually implement this. It would be a great use case!
Cheers,
Gonçalo Borrêga
I have a client with HL7 Integration.
We use Iguana from http://www.interfaceware.com/.
It has a SQL data model that you need to reference from Integration Studio. After that you write the messages on the DB.
Iguana acts like a broker and update status of the message after communicate with the destination end-point.
It's great because you don't have to worry about messages syntax, only with the messages definition.

Cheers